Arty S7-50 and OOB Demo Project on Vivado 2019

Vik

Question

I understand quite a few things have changed with the SDK to Vitis migration on the software side. But, I am having trouble with the hardware also

I followed this tutorial and I get two error while trying to generate bitstream https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/github-demos/start

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The error message is as follows - 

[BD 41-1665] Unable to generate top-level wrapper HDL for the block design 'system.bd' is locked. Locked reason(s):
* Block design contains locked IPs. Please run report_ip_status for more details and recommendations on how to fix this issue. 
List of locked IPs: 
system_microblaze_0_0
system_axi_gpio_input_0
system_axi_gpio_led_0
system_mdm_1_0
system_axi_uartlite_0_0
system_axi_quad_spi_0_0
system_axi_smc_0
system_clk_wiz_0_0
system_ilmb_bram_if_cntlr_0
system_axi_timer_0_0
system_microblaze_0_axi_intc_0
system_microblaze_0_axi_periph_0
system_microblaze_0_xlconcat_0
system_mig_7series_0_0
system_rst_clk_wiz_0_100M_0
system_rst_mig_7series_0_81M_0
system_xadc_wiz_0_0
system_dlmb_bram_if_cntlr_0
system_dlmb_v10_0
system_ilmb_v10_0
system_lmb_bram_0
system_xbar_0

[Common 17-70] Application Exception: Top module not set for fileset 'sources_1'. Please ensure that a valid value is provided for 'top'. The value for 'top' can be set/changed using the 'Top Module Name' field under 'Project Settings', or using the 'set_property top' Tcl command (e.g. set_property top <name> [current_fileset]).

2 answers to this question

Hi @Vik,

The GitHub demos are released for specific versions of Vivado, so trying to run them in a newer version of Vivado will result in the error you encountered, though I do not think you are running the OOB demo for the Arty S7-50 as that project does not have a block design and is only done in HDL. It's release materials are available on our GitHub here: https://github.com/Digilent/Arty-S7-50-GPIO/releases.

If you are opening the OOB project in 2019.2, Vivado should provide a pop-up stating that the project was made in an older version of Vivado and asks if you want to open it in a read-only mode or upgrade it to a newer version. You can click on upgrade it to a newer version and Vivado will automatically upgrade the project for you.

Otherwise, if you happen to open a block design on a different project, you will need to run the Report IP Status in the Reports tab and have Vivado upgrade IPs that it wants to. You will also need to create a wrapper for the block design that (presuming you let Vivado manage the settings) gets set as the top module. This is described a bit more in our Getting Started with Pmod IPs tutorial.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived