Adept doesn't see the ARTY-A7 board

Leon.k

Question

I'm working with ARTY-A7 FPGA board and ADEPT v2.19.2 in Windows 10.

At first, the system often lost contact with the board, but after reinstalling digilent.adept.system_v2.19.2, the connection was restored.

Now reinstalling no longer helps.

What can be a reason?

9 answers to this question

HI @Leon.k,

I apologize for the delay.

What do you mean by lost contact? Is the board still successfully powered? Or do Adept and the Vivado Hardware Manager no longer detect the board? If the latter is the case, the two easy things to check would be to try a different USB port and a different USB cable. I'm not certain why reinstalling Adept would have made a change initially.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Leon.k,

I apologize for the delay.

Do you have any device attached to your JTAG HS3? In general, the device ID will be read as all f's like you found if there is not anything attached to the HS3.

Additionally, are you only connected to the Arty A7 via the micro USB connector (and not have anything attached via 6-pin JTAG connector, J8)? I can't directly tell from your picture, but I presume the power supply used for the Arty is between 7 and 15V and you have the power selection set to regulated power?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Leon.k,

I apologize for the delay. I didn't realize you were doing individual wire breakouts from the HS3. I tested this with an Arty and a HS3 and was successfully able to have Adept detect the downstream Artix 35 chip.

Could you show me more directly how you have your wires connected to the HS3 side? It looks like the pins are in the correct order, though I'd feel better if I could make sure of that. The other thing I noticed is that the contact leads between the HS3 and the wires that then lead to the Arty A7 are not very long, so there is a possibility that there isn't a clean electrical connection there (and something that I've had to deal with before). Could you move the black plastic spacer down in order to provide more contact between the leads and the wires?

Thank you,
JColvin

Hello JColvin,

Sorry for delay.

To my regret the problem is still appear.

You can see the connections between HS3 and ARTY7 on attached image.

HS3 pin1 connected to ARTY J8.5 by black wire. (GND)

HS3 pin2 connected to ARTY J8.6 by red wire. (VCC)

HS3 pin4 connected to ARTY J8.1 by purple wire. (TMS)

HS3 pin6 connected to ARTY J8.4 by yellow wire. (TCK)

HS3 pin8 connected to ARTY J8.3 by blue wire. (TDO)

HS3 pin10 connected to ARTY J8.2 by white wire. (TDI)

I purchased 2 HS3 adapters and both of them behaviors the same. 

You can see it on attached images.

What can be a reason?

What another way to check HS3 cables?

But with the old Digilent USB cable all works correctly.

HS3-to-ARTY7 connections.jpeg

ADEPT with old USB cable.PNG

ADEPT with HS3 cable.PNG