Is it possible to log from an i2c device with openlogger?

Hi @snes369,

The OpenLogger does not interpret digital communication protocols such as I2C or SPI since it is a logger (rather than a logic analyzer). Depending on the data rate of the signals, you could record them through the analog pins, though you would then have to interpret them manually. I would recommend using a different tool (such as Digilent's Analog Discovery 2) that is better suited for digital signal interpretation.

Let me know if you have any question about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply @JColvin!

I understand now. This puts me in a bit of a pickle. I have been selected as a product tester for the openlogger, based on my past experience with meteorological instruments. In my field, devices sold as loggers (Campbell CR data loggers, METER group data loggers, arduinos, raspberry pis, etc...) are capable of interpreting signals from instruments (beyond simple analog voltages).

I am still beholden to provide a review of the openlogger, but I now find myself without instruments to test it with. Do you have any recommendations for simple devices/instruments I could hook up to the openlogger, record some data, and generate plots to present?

For an I2C signal logged on the openlogger analog pins, how would the data be stored (such that I could interpret it manually)?

Thank you for your help,

snes369

Hi @snes369,

Some projects that would be readily measured with the OpenLogger would be a potentiometer or the analog data from a thermocouple. I realize that neither of these line up exactly with your past experience, so if you feel that you are not the appropriate person to do a test review let me know and I can get you in contact with the appropriate product manager to get this rearranged.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived