techy5025

Basys3 xdc clock usage ...

Question

I am using the Basys3 board, Vicado 2019.1, and verilog as a "new learner" in an attempt to implement an alarm clock found on the web. I am unclear as to how to set up the clock in the xdc file 

My source module file...

module aclock (
 input clock_100Mhz,// 100 Mhz clock source on Basys 3 FPGA
 input reset,       // sw0 Active high reset pulse, to set the time to the input hour and minute.
                    // (as defined by the H_in1, H_in0, M_in1, and M_in0 inputs) and the second to 00.
                    // It should also set the alarm value to 0.00.00, and to set the Alarm (output) low.
                    // For normal operation, this input pin should be 0.
 input [1:0] H_in1, // sw15,14 A 2-bit input used to set the most significant hour digit of the clock
                    // (if LD_time=1),or the most significant hour digit of the alarm (if LD_alarm=1).
                    // Valid values are 0 to 2.
 input [3:0] H_in0, // sw 13,12,11,10 A 4-bit input used to set the least significant hour digit of the clock
                    // (if LD_time=1),or the least significant hour digit of the alarm (if LD_alarm=1).
                    // Valid values are 0 to 9.
 input [3:0] M_in1, // sw9,8,7,6 A 4-bit input to set the most significant min digit of the clock (if LD_time=1)
                    // or the most significant min digit of the alarm (if LD_alarm=1). Valid values are 0 to 5.
 input [3:0] M_in0, // sw5,4,3,2 A 4-bit input to set the least significant min digit of the clock (if LD_time=1),
                    // or the least significant min digit of the alarm (if LD_alarm=1). Valid values are 0 to 9.
 input LD_time,     // sw-LT If LD_time=1, the time should be set to the values on the inputs H_in1, H_in0, M_in1,
                    // and M_in0. The second time should be set to 0.If LD_time=0, the clock should act
                    // normally (i.e. second should be incremented every 10 clock cycles).
 input LD_alarm,    // sw-RT If LD_alarm=1, the alarm time should be set to the values on the inputs H_in1,
                    // H_in0, M_in1, and M_in0.If LD_alarm=0, the clock should act normally. 
 input STOP_al,     // sw-CEN If the Alarm (output) is high, then STOP_al=1 will bring the output back low. */ 
 input AL_ON,       // sw-0 If high, the alarm is ON (and Alarm will go high if the alarm time equals the real time).
                    // If low the the alarm function is OFF. */

The question. Is this the right way to sub the clock into the xdc file? The clock part of the xdc file follows...

## This file is a general .xdc for the Basys3 rev B board
## To use it in a project:
## - uncomment the lines corresponding to used pins
## - rename the used ports (in each line, after get_ports) according to the top level signal names in the project

## Clock signal
set_property PACKAGE_PIN W5 [get_ports clock_100Mhz]
    set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports clock_100Mhz]
    create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 10.00 -waveform {0 5} [get_ports clock_100Mhz]

I'm not sure if all three lines need the clock_100Mhz substitute. The "clock" display and alarm works and vicado generated no errors, but it doesn't count.

A newby so I appreciate the help!

Jim

2 answers to this question

Hi @techy5025,

Your .xdc file is fine; you would want the consistent clock_100Mhz so that the syntax is consistent. I'm not certain what you mean by the clock display and alarm works, but doesn't count. There is an Instructable that makes a Basys 3 alarm clock in VHDL available here: https://www.instructables.com/id/Basys-3-Alarm-Clock/.

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin. Thank you for the replay! Bad wording on my part. I can set the alarm, set the time, but the clock stays at 00:00 which is why I suspected the clock. Other example programs work with the clock so I know it is physically connected to the FPGA. I am combining two example 'alarm clocks'  .. one whose output is in binary and the second a  binary to 7-segment converter .. so I have obviously made a coding error.

The examples I am using are in verilog, so I well stick with that for now. Learning a new programming language (and hardware!) is always interesting!

Jim