Waveform Feature Requests

Mr.Spriggs

Question

Dear Digilent Crew,

For the past couple months I have been using the Analog Discovery 2 almost exclusively as my go to tool for analyzing data on my projects. It is so quick and easy to use, the much more expensive Siglent scope I own just sits on my bench. When Ive had an is Attlia was surprisingly fast to help out with an update to Waveforms just to me. It has been great tool to use.

Thank You Attlia 

With that being said I would like to request a few some features that would really help improve the way I work.  Want to let you know I would be happy to help out in anyway to implement any new bits you might choose to add.

- Can the little h in front of every byte of Hexdecimal data be removed. Hexdecimal is an option on the top of the Protocols page so it is already known that the data output is Hex.

- It would be nice to have time stamps on the Protocol page. It's been difficult to correlate input commands to the responses the test equipment outputs. Just a simple counter in front of each line of data would make staring into long strings of Hex data so much easier to connect.

- Can there be a disconnect button for the hardware? Possibly on the bottom right corner of the page. When I have to take my laptop somewhere I must disconnect the Analog Discovery 2, but I still want to be able to look at the data. Waveforms will flash its icon on my Dock. When I finally click on Waveforms it will force me to select a Demo mode. If I could just disconnect so Waveforms would stop looking for hardware that's not there. That would be great.

-Lastly have there been any talk of adding JTAG as a protocol. Even with the possibility of connecting it to OpenOCD?

Again I want to thank you for your hard work and the great job being done on Waveforms. Have a happy holidays.

Jeff Chap 

6 answers to this question

Hi @Mr.Spriggs

1. Ok
2. You have timestamp option for SPI/I2C Spy, you can also type in comments in the log fields. Would you need timestamps in other modes too?
Could you provide an example for the mentioned numbering?
3. After disconnecting the device you can press Cancel in the device manager. This will leave you with "not connected" warning but the data will remain visible.
4. I will add JTAG interpreter. The OpenOCD support could be done using the WF SDK.

Glad to read the positive feedback and thank you for your constructive observations.
Merry Christmas

image.png.6c647e876baf4f115387dd748ae21503.png

image.png.7046369d6fb21868ab6cf8d33b57ae2d.png

Hey Attila,

Thanks so much. The Holidays have been a busy time. Sorry I took so long, now Im happy to be getting back to.

So as for the time stamp. It would be nice for the time to count from the starting point of the connection in decimal minutes. So that a user can look at the Tx and Rx and see which was which... Now I see the real problem the count will turn into a huge number very quickly. Hmm

Basically  I wanted to be able to scroll back and see which came first the Tx or the Rx. let me show you.968507064_WaveFormUart.thumb.jpg.6f80cec05d7c1c412a2cc0a217908e8e.jpg

Ive done a little research and what Im being is a [%H.%M.%.S] added to the logs would work wonders. I don't think any changes would be needed on the GUI. That might make it too busy.

Thanks again. And hope your have a Happy New Year.

Jeff

Archived