Anaysis of wav sound files

jbs001

Question

Hello All: I am an Aquatic Stream Biologist who specializes in stonefly taxonomy and behavior.   A web search for oscilloscope sound analysis software brought me to DIGILENT. I currently use Ace of Wav by Polyhedric Software https://polyhedric.com/software/ to hear, see, count and measure time intervals (msec) between percussive beats of adult mate-finding signals. Dont laugh, its very interesting and I've penned a few articals describing different species signals using screen captures of the oscillographs.

My question is, can this software (alone or with one of the boards offered) open previously recorded .wav files, and using the curser, click and mark areas between beats (interbeat time interval in msec), and receive the measurement to be entered into a spread sheet. Some stonefly species require that the signal be vertically and horizontyally zoomed. Other times, when opening a several hour long recording, I need to copy and paste shorter signals into new windows for ease of analysis (counting percussive beats and measureing interbeat intervals). Those basic operations are what I would like to acheive using this software. Thank you for reading and commenting. Ps. I have used Audacity in the past but its oscilloscope gui cant be changed to a white backgroound, nor are the left and right channels color coded red and blue..... Ace of wav does all this but will not install after windows 7. I use a copy of the previously installed .exe folder to run in the windows 10 environment. Still works but I have trouble instructing others on how to run the program. I need a modern computer oscilloscope with or without color coded chanels (most signals are stereo L-male, R-female from within sound dampened seperate chambers..See attached video of Ace of Wav in action.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

you might have a look at "Octave" or Matlab.

Try this old version: https://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/octave/windows/octave-4.0.0_0-installer.exe

Use the command "graphics_toolkit('gnuplot')"  after starting and the plot engine will be able to cope with quite large amounts of data (locate the option "antialiasing" in the plot menu, turn it off and it gets even faster).

- the "wavread" command reads in a .wav file

- the "plot" command does just that. With "hold on" you can overlay multiple traces. Use (plot(myData(1:100:end))) to reduce the amount of data to 1 % for an overview over long files.

'If you work in the field, it might be really worth the time to get at least to some extent into numerical data processing beyond simple plotting. Most likely, you'll be able to pull solid information out of your expensive experimental data that would not show from inspection alone.

Archived