JTAG programing using HS3 for Spartan 6

Prantik Majumder

Hi,

First thing first. I am a starter in the fpga custom design. I have done few simple projects codes in Digilent virtex 5 board but now circumstances requires me to get more IO pins.

I will, in this section mention first what I am planning (English is not my first language sorry for any errors).

1) I am using XC6SLX9 

2) Route the VCCAUX, VCCINT, GND, 100MHZ single ended clk.

3) Route out the JTAG pins (namely TMS, TDO, TDI, TCK)

4) I am using ISE 14.7 

5) 1) I just want to generate gate signals.

In this section I shall lay out what help I want.

1) Is what I have done enough to program the spartan 6 device via JTAG? (I know it will be volatile)

2) Can I program it using the JTAG HS3 cable? (someone said that I need the platform cable to program and HS3 only works with series 7 ics, but platform cable would cost too much for me at this moment)

3) For a 14pins (7 pins in 2 row) JTAG connector, what other routing I need to consider from the FPGA (except the 4 JTAG pins mentioned in the previous section) .

Any other help or information that I need is extremely acknowledged.

FYI: I am also attaching an approximate final outcome that I want.

Capture.PNG

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I apologize for the long delay. The JTAG HS3 will work with both Spartan-6 devices and 7-series based Xilinx boards. I believe you will need to use the Xilinx tools plugin, https://store.digilentinc.com/digilent-plugin-for-xilinx-tools-download-only/, though in order to get Xilinx/ISE to properly recognize the cable though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived