Get started with Pmod ESP32 and Arduino Nano

lozi_dani

Question

Hi everyone!

I am new here in this forum and I am quite newbie using this Pmod ESP32 module. I am trying to find information googleling but nothing that I can find on internet helps me. I am trying to find a simple example program which explains how to work with this Pmod ESP32 module (Pmod ESP32 Module) and the Arduino Nano board. I have worked before with the ESP8266 module, using it to send some instructions from a simple http page with four buttons to a wheeled robot to control it via web. To do that, what I did was to flash the ESP8266 module by using a USB to UART board like this one (USB to UART board) using the Arduino IDE and connect this ESP8266 module to the Arduino Nano board. The Arduino Nano board receives the instructions received from the ESP8266 and performs the actions over the robot with the orders sent from the webpage to the robot using my home wifi.

To upgrade with my Iot projects, I've seen and read a lot about this Pmod ESP32 module, and I want, at least, achieve the same I did with the ESP8266 with the Pmod ESP32 module. To do that, I've been reading all the documentation and resources that Diligent provides on his web, but everything I find are example projects that use specific ESP32 boards that can be connected directly by usb, not using the USB to UART module I related before.

What I am trying, just to start learning about the Pmod ESP32, is to be able to communicate two Pmod ESP32 to blink a led from one module to the other. Something like it is shown in this tutorial (Communication over the internet between ESP32 modules), but using the Pmod ESP32 module mentioned at the beginning.

In the tutorial I related about communication between two ESP32 modules over the internet, the user is using two ESP32 modules that have a microusb connection to connect the modules to the PC via usb and flash them using the Arduino IDE. Here what I have is a Pmod ESP32 with a USB to UART module to connect it to the PC, but I've not found any project where someone has inserted a program made in Arduino to the Pmod ESP32 by this way.

I've read all the Get Started of Espressif about ESP32, but my Pmod ESP32 board is not in the list of the ESP32 boards related in this Get Started (here is the link: Espressif ESP32 Get Started). I've also installed all the tools provided by the website as they explain here: ESP-IDF Installation Guide, but my board is not in that list, so I can not connect my board directly to a COM port via USB to the computer to insert the examples suggested there. Only I could do that using the USB to UART module, but I don't know if it is possible to do that because I've not found anything on web where someone do this.

What I am trying to do is very simple, send orders or commands like "Blink led 1" or "Blink all leds" from one Pmod ESP32 module to another, programming the modules using the Arduino IDE. I've read about configure one of the modules as client and the other one as server to send messages between them, but I can't find any example project showing how to do that in the way I want to do it.

My components are the following: two Pmod ESP32 modules, a lot of leds, two buttons, a USB to UART module to connect the Pmod ESP32 to the PC and the Arduino IDE

Can someone please help me to start with this module by providing me some links, example projects or information that I couldn't find on internet to do this?

Thank you very much for any help you could give me because I am getting crazy with this!

Daniel.

1 answer to this question

Hello,

Unfortunately we do not have an Arduino code to suite your expectations.

I am directing you to a project linked on the product resource page called Remotely Controlled Microcontroller from a Browser (Hackster Project). Although it is a MPLABX project you could take a look on how commands are sent over UART and implement them accordingly in your code.

Good luck.

Archived