Is PMOD RTCC battery documentation wrong?

Naji

Question

I purchased a PMOD RTCC board which has a battery holder on it. The manual lists a few options so I bought the CR1216.

image.png.9c4602a584922b40ac8c2fce35825ee4.png

It is too thin and fall out of the holder.

Is the battery holder wrong?

What is the true battery that fits snug in the holder?

I don't want to waste money trying different batteries. I expected your documentation to be better than this.

1 answer to this question

Hi @Naji,

That list of batteries comes from the battery clip holder datasheet (it is a 3000TR/3000KCT coin cell retainer). The problem that you unfortunately encountered is that the manufacture was technically correct in listing the CR1216 battery (12 mm in diameter, 1.6 mm in height, which is where the "1216" portion of the battery name comes from) as it will make contact with the clips, but as soon as those clips get bent in any way, that particular battery is no longer secure.

In the interest of future proofing (and considering that the internal height of the coin cell retainer is approximately 3 mm), I would instead use one that is 2.0 or 2.5 mm in height (1220 or 1225 battery suffix, respectively). The different prefixes (CR and BR) indicate different standard discharge currents due to different chemistry make up. More information is available on this Wikipedia page. Personally, I would go with the CR1225, though you could also bend the tabs down on the current coin cell holder to better keep the battery contained.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived