Analog Discovery 2 losing connection.

dave slagle

Question

My AD2 has been working flawlessly for about two years and recently it suddenly started losing connection after a minute or two and giving the following warning:

Communication with the device failed.
Please check the USB cable and power supply connections.
For further troubleshooting consult the Help.

Communication with the device failed

DptiIO failed ERC: 0xA

I tried different USB cables and both USB ports on the macbook with no change and I have another "backup" AD2 with one channel out that does not have this issue.  I have reinstalled Waveforms and reset the device through the calibration window.  I am running a Macbook Pro Laptop with OS 10.14.6

what are my options to troubleshoot this?

dave

Screen Shot 2019-12-10 at 9.17.36 PM.png

18 answers to this question

Hi @dave slagle

The USB connector in the AD2 is strong and reliable. I'm using some since many years and never had any problem with it. Except some cables are not making good contact with one device or the other kind of devices.
On your device some USB cable or try to reversely plug could have damaged the socket.

I don't think the two year old device is in warranty... You should try to replace the USB connector.

I have played a bit more with it and don't think the USB connector is the issue.  If the device has been of and is cold it will run for 4-6 minutes before it disconnects and then will not stay connected for more than a few seconds.  I plug in the cold AD2 and run the datalogger to see the timeframe and leave it undisturbed until disconnect.  after 5 cycles of this the 4-6 minute pattern is identical and the AD2 becomes warm.  My backup AD2 will run for hours and not change temperature appreciably.

dave

I will routinely lose connection when the macbook does go to sleep but that isn't the issue in this case because it happens like clockwork after about 4-6 minutes.  Once it loses connection it may reconnect for a minute before it simply will not reconnect, not be visible or crashes Waveforms.  If I unplug it for 20 minutes I am able to get another 5 minute "run" when I reconnecti it.  I was looking at some FFT's with my other AD2 and it was of a 15Khz sine oversampled 20X with distortion and active cursors and that one would occasionally crash too.  this is the first time that has happened with that unit.  I purchased another AD2 to see if that solves the issue.

I mentioned above that the gold had worn off of the USB connector and when the new unit comes I will try swapping out the USB connector to see if that is the cause.  Is it possible that the loss of connection could be from a corrupt or noisy data path due to a bad USB contact?  It is the loss of connection consistently at around 5 minutes that has to be meaningful.  I will try it on a different computer this week.

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.19.43 AM.png

Edited by dave slagle

got my replacement AD2 and all is fine.  tried the new USB cord with the problematic AD2 and the same pattern remains.  I do occasionally lose connection when the computer does sleep but the 5-10 minute thing has to be a different issue since it happens while I am actively using the device.

I'll try the USB connector next.  by any chance do you have a part number that fits?  

dave

Hi there. 

I have been using my AD2 for years, and havn't seen this issue until I upgraded Waveforms ti v3.16.3 yesterday. I am also on Mac, using Big Sur, and the issue was not present on Waveforms 3.14.3. So it looks like some sort of driver issue to me.

NT

Hello @attila.

Thank you for your reply. As I was trying to get a screenshot, it occurred to me that it won't make the error while Waveforms is in focus. When I leave the app to work in a different app, the message comes up within five minutes. I have Waveforms running on a separate screen, so I'm using it, but with another app in focus. It might be a coincidence. Hope that helps.

I will try the beta version now and get back to you.

NT

ScreenShot 2021-09-02 kl. 14.26.31.png