CmodA7 and Adept2

skywalker

Question

6 answers to this question

Adept and CmodA7

The Adept2 is limited to programming the FPGA on the CmodA7. There is no EPP available and the JTAG interface (see busbridge3) is the means of communication for special functions. I have a CmodA7 connected to my PC and Adept2 did recognize the FPGA. I am still not sure how to program the flash serial NVM just yet.

15 hours ago, skywalker said:

There is no EPP available and the JTAG interface (see busbridge3) is the means of communication for special functions

EPP is specific to (pre-Series7)  Digilent FPGA boards using the CY68013A USB 2.0 endpoint solution. Currently Digilent uses an FTDI USB Serial Bridge for JTAG, configuration, and UART functionality. The JTAG and UART are enumerated as separate endpoints on a HOST. FTDI has a few USB bridge devices that support an 8-bit parallel interface but no universal driver that supports it. Windows and Linux use the VCP driver by default. 

I was about to release a project for the CMOD A7-35T and FT232H about a month ago. Everything was going smoothly until I tried replicating the project created on WIN7 on my WIN10 box. One thing led to another and currently the whole effort is stuck on hold. One issue is that the CMOD form factor doesn't respect the work of Kirchhoff and provides a single GND pin. This complicates the whole project idea as it was supposed to be an easy and cheap project for anyone to replicate. Another problem is that the 60 MHz CLOCKOUT on the FT232H isn't that robust and has issues with duty cycle during transfers. Using a custom PCB for the FT232H and the Terasic DE0 Nano I don't seem to have the same issues... but I don't see the point of releasing a Quartus project on a Digilent website. I think that it would be a nifty and interesting project so perhaps I'll revive my interest in pursuing it in the future. 

The project from @xc6lx45gets around 8 MB/s transfer rates which is reasonable for most applications. The Synchronous 245 FIFO mode on a FT232H or similar device can get close to 42 MB/s sustained data rates, depending on the application. EPP was an asynchronous interface having a relatively low data transfer rate but useful for short data transfers.

Archived