Analog Discovery Studio - No Device Detected - MacOS

dclock

Question

Hello,

I have an Analog Discovery Studio and when I fire up Waveforms I cannot detect it (no device found).
This is my setup:

MacBook Pro 2017
MacOS 10.14.16
Waveforms 3.12.1

I followed the waveforms installation found at:
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-studio/[[getting-started-guide]]

The device appears listed in the USB section info as a Digilent USB Device so it is recognized by the OS.
Tried restarting, plugging, unplugging, re-installing waveforms..
In the past I had the EE Board up and running with the same setup.

Any debugging bone you can throw at me?

Regards,
Dario.

12 answers to this question

Hi @dclock

Did you try installing the driver from the installer DMG?

Could you try the latest beta version? 
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/
This updates the USB libraries for macOS.

Install the dwf.framework form the DMG and try running the following:
$ python /Application/WaveForms.app/Contents/Resources/SDK/samples/py/Enumerate.py

Same issue as dclock here. This is on an iMac Mac OS 10.14.6. with a Digital Discovery . 

The proposed fix does not work for me. Installed 3.15.2. Still get `No device detected`
The python script output: 

Digilent FTDI Enumeration library loaded
Devices: 1
 1. SN:210321A6AA75 'Digilent USB Device' flags: 0x0 type: 0x8 id: 0x4036014 locid: 0x140b0

FTDI Version: 0x10416
Devices: 1
 1. SN:  flags: 0x1 type: 0x3 id: 0x0 locid: 0x0

DMGR Version: 2.8.4
Devices: 0

DWF Version: 3.15.2
Devices: 0

Hi @rainerle

Did you try restarting your machine having the device unplugged?
Restart is better than Shutdown. The Restart cleans up UEFI-system-driver cache which could contain invalid device info.

Did you try with and without the driver-filter? This can be found in the WaveForms DMG
Old macOS version require the driver to be installed, new macOS versions don't require it, on some new Mac hardware it may not work with the driver.

Hi all, I had the same issues as @rainerle. I just got my AD2 and DD to work and thought I should make an account to describe my system state:

OSX 10.14.6

Waveforms 3.15.2 (latest beta linked above)

They key change to get it to work was I did NOT delete the FTDI driver like the popup instructs. After rebooting, everything is good.

First:  I'm attempting to connect a brand new device.  I can't get any of the above suggestions to work for the "no device detected" error in the device manager.  System: iMac 2012, Analog Discovery 2, macOS 10.15.7, attempted both Waveforms 3.18.1 and 3.19.5.  I've tried unplugging restarting, using the enumeration python script, etc.  The device shows up on the system report under"about this mac".  Actually and oddly, it shows up twice there under USB 3.0.  

Second:  I just checked, and the AD2 connects with Waveforms 3.19.5 on a 2011 macBook Pro running macOS 10.13.6.  Incidentally, it seems that the 3.19.5 installer does not actually have the FTDI driver, only an alias of it.  EDIT oh bummer, now that doesn't work either.  No device again.  Now Waveforms is asking for the FTDI driver.  I'm trying to install the FTDI driver version from 3.18.1, but its certificate is no longer valid and the installer seems to be hung up.  Okay, there it finished and I am able to see the device again in Waveforms.

Any other ideas about the installation on the first computer??

Edited by paulbjork

Hi @paulbjork

The driver filter, as described in the 'installer' package may be required only on MacOS 10.13 and earlier. This is included in the newer beta packages.
On some Macs it is only working if it is installed on others only if it is not... You should try with and without.
You should also try using other ports, USB hub...

When you use the term "driver filter", I guess you mean the FTDI driver (.kext) that needs to be installed for pre-macOS10.13 systems.  Just for the heck of it, onto the macOS 10.15.7 iMac I installed the *.kext from a fresh copy of the 3.18.1 Waveforms digital image that I had on my desktop.  Indeed, when I opened Waveforms 3.18.1, it did come up with the list of 7 steps in the process to remove said *.kext that I had just installed on a whim.

In my grogginess, I did NOT unplug the AD2 while restarting the iMac.  But the process worked, and upon restart and opening Waveforms, the AD2 is recognized and properly set up.

I will try again tomorrow to upgrade to Waveforms 3.19.5 to get current.  Thank you for your response, atilla.