PMODDA4 Output connector pinout

mladenik

Question

I have chosen the PMODDA4 for my development DAC add on board and noticed that the output connector is a 2 x 6 except a female, just like the Pmod male on the Nexys A7 board but with a different pinout configuration.   If you pinned those the same then you have analog output pins tied to power and ground.  I am developing a filter amplifier board for the outputs of the Octal DAC and so I want to make sure that I am correct that you used a different pinout configuration between the two board.    The PMODDA4 has 1,3,5,7,9,10 on one side of the connector while the PMOD male on the Nexys A& has 1,2,3,4,5,6 on that same side of the connector.   This is important to connect the filter board correctly.    I did not see a layout of the board so I could determine that pin out configuration on the PCB.  

image.png.50c73535ef14f52e2c22d42f1712a99b.png2x6 connectorimage.png.9d6dbd8b23b5129383bd9926e20f4d7d.png2x6 connectorimage.png.f8b43de4a82ae30c8e5e59ac0a078c9a.png2x6 connector

3 answers to this question

Hi @mladenik,

The Pmod DA4 is designed the way you would expect. I am not certain why the schematic is labeled the way it is, but the silkscreen labeling on the Pmod DA4 is accurate (I verified this with a multimeter referencing the pins on the AD5628 chip).

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

I am not sure you understand my question.  I am not talking about the connector that plugs into the PMOD, but the outputs analog connector on the Pmod DA4, that outputs the 8 analog signals to the outside world since I am designing a board to plug into this connector.   The schematics shows a 1 x 12 connectors yet the picture of the board shows a 2 x 6.  This is all about the mechanical layout of the board and how the connectors was pinned out when the board was layed out.   I attached with the two different pinouts.  You can see that only pins 1 and 12 are in the same physical location on these two connector pin out schemes.  If I used the pin out for the one on the right and it was layed out to the one on the left, I would only connect 2 pins correctly.   I have seen both used in industry, but never both being used in the same system, people usually choose one or the other.  

image.png.c6b7b990f5ef8bc9811fe5c09db54d9e.png

Hi @mladenik,

The Pmod DA4 2x6 output header is designed like the image on the right; that is, when looking at the output header so that the physical outputs are directly facing you, Pin 1 is in the top right with Pin 2 directly below it in the bottom right. Pin 3 is directly to the left of Pin 1 with Pin 4 directly below Pin 3. This pattern continues until Pin 11 is in the top left with Pin 12 on the bottom left.

The silkscreen labeling, as shown in this image, https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/reference/pmod/pmodda4/pmodda4-1.png, shows the orientation and location of each of the outputs where 'A' corresponds to 'VOUTA', 'B' corresponds to 'VOUTB", and so forth.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be happy to answer them.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived