Utku200012

About implementing sound files to BASYS3

Question

Hello,

I am doing  a BASYS3 VHDL project for my digital design course and I am trying to make a sound pad like a piano. So I have to attend sounds to button but I do not want to send square waves from clock. I want to attend a sound file to it. Is there any way to convert a sound file to a binary signal that BASYS3 can read. Thank you.

2 answers to this question

Hi,

hint: You'll find lots of MIDI-controlled synthesizer examples, also legacy sound chip emulations. Spend some time reading instead of re-inventing the wheel ... don't expect other people will do a good job at doing the reading for you ...

@Utku200012,

You might want to look into the "sox" program.  You should be able to use it to convert any sound format into a raw format of some type, but from there the question becomes: what format do you want?  You might be able to include it in a design via a $readmemh type of call--depending upon its length.  (I discuss building a hex file for this purpose in my own tutorial ... see the section on memories) You might be able to include it into the flash code used by your design.  Alternatively, you might be able to load it from the USB UART.

I guess it depends upon how you wish to design your system.

Dan