Victor

Question

Hello all

I want to create own project and I follow step by step instruction from:
https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10

This is the part of the instruction:
------------------------------------
Source the petalinux tools
Whenever you want to run any petalinux commands, you will need to first start by opening a new terminal and "sourcing" the Petalinux environment settings:

source /opt/pkg/petalinux/settings.sh

Download the petalinux project
If you plan on version controlling your project you should clone this repository using the following:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10.git

Generate project
If you have obtained the project source directly from github, then you should simply cd into the Petalinux project directory.

petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>
This will create a new petalinux project in your current working directory, which you should then cd into.

After command
git clone --recursive https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10.git
was created project
/home/victor/Petalinux-Zibo-Z7-10

But I do not understand how to do command 
petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>
because of the project
/home/victor/Petalinux-Zibo-Z7-10
does not contain .bsp file

Please answer on the following questions:
1) what I did wrongly ?
2) how to do this step correctly ? 

Thank you,

Best regards,
Victor.
pulsarvictor2003@gmail.com

10 answers to this question

Sorry, there are two separate workflows and the readme doesn't distinguish between them well. We'll need to update the readme's.

Here are the two workflows:

1. git clone recursive, cd into project folder and then run petalinux-build (instead of petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>)
  2. download the bsp file from the releases tab, run "petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>" which creates the whole project, cd into project folder, then run petalinux-build

Hello @vicentiu,

OK.

I executed the command:

victor@victor-System-Product-Name:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10$ source /opt/pkg/petalinux/settings.sh
PetaLinux environment set to '/opt/pkg/petalinux'
INFO: Checking free disk space
INFO: Checking installed tools
INFO: Checking installed development libraries
INFO: Checking network and other services

Then I cd into 
/home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10

Then  run the command "petalinux-build" and got the error:

victor@victor-System-Product-Name:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10$ petalinux-build
ERROR: You are not inside a PetaLinux project. Please specify a PetaLinux project!

As I think I still do not understand something, please help again.

Thank you,

Best regards,
Victor.
pulsarvictor2003@gmail.com

Hello @vicentiu,

As I think, you meant  "Zybo-Z7-10",   of course.

victor@victor-System-Product-Name:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10$ source /opt/pkg/petalinux/settings.sh
PetaLinux environment set to '/opt/pkg/petalinux'
INFO: Checking free disk space
INFO: Checking installed tools
INFO: Checking installed development libraries
INFO: Checking network and other services
victor@victor-System-Product-Name:~/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10$ petalinux-build
mv: cannot move '/home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log' to '/home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log.old': Permission denied
[INFO] building project
petalinux-build: line 319: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log: Permission denied
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
petalinux-yocto: line 649: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log: Permission denied
petalinux-yocto: line 1963: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log: Permission denied
ERROR: Failed to source bitbake
petalinux-yocto: line 643: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log: Permission denied
petalinux-yocto: line 404: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/.petalinux/usage_statistics_token: Permission denied
petalinux-yocto: line 404: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/.petalinux/usage_statistics_token: Permission denied
ERROR: Failed to build project
petalinux-build: line 313: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log: Permission denied
petalinux-build: line 95: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/.petalinux/usage_statistics_token: Permission denied
petalinux-build: line 95: /home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/.petalinux/usage_statistics_token: Permission denied

Errors.
What was wronly?

Best regards,
Victor.

Since you are familiar with Linux file permissions, you'll need to look into why the move command returns permission denied.

mv: cannot move '/home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log' to '/home/victor/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-10/Zybo-Z7-10/build/build.log.old': Permission denied

Archived