Basys3 Artix-7 FPGA Trainer Board

AN_newbie

Question

Hello,

I bought a basys3 artix-7 FPGA Trainer board off of Amazon (seller: digilent), in an attempt to learn FPGA programming.

I  am having problems programming the flash.  I was going through the abacus tutorial on youtube, and had few problems downloading to the FPGA via Jtag, and getting the tutorial to work.

The problem was programming the Flash.  The particular board I am using has the Macronix part number MX25L3233FMI-08G 32Mb flash.

I downloaded the 2016.4 as per the tutorial, but the version of Vivado did not offer the particular Macronix flash as a programming option.

I tried the spansion version of the flash (size and structure similar) using Vivado 2016.4, but not surprisingly, this produced errors.

I tried to download the latest version of Vivado, but it looked totally foreign, and I didn't want to try to figure out how to get it to work.

So is there a version of Vivado that offers Macronix 32Mb flash? 

What are my options to get the flash to program? 

Buy the Spansion version of the flash and solder it in?

Thanks.

Hello @AN_newbie,

The MX25L3233 is not supported by Vivado 2016.4. You need to use a more recent version.

I verified in Vivado 2019.1 and is supported. Even if the tutorial uses Vivado 2016.4, the steps are the same in any version.

"it looked totally foreign" - The interface for Vivado 2019.1 is not so different from Vivado 2016.4 just some design changes.

I will put here some steps, maybe it will ease your effort.

1.Link the jumper JP1 to QSPI.

2.Add xdc constraint file Basys-3-Master.xdc

3.Open Implemented Design, then Settings

4.Then check bin_file box in Bistream tab

5.Configure additional bistream settings.

6.General -> Enable bitstream compresion->TRUE

7.Configuration -> Bus width - > 4 

8.Ok -> Apply -> Ok -> Save

9.If you will look into xdc constraint, at the end of the file should appear those lines of code, one with COMPRESS TRUE and another with SPI_BUSWIDTH 4

10.Generate Bistream

Below are the steps for programing from Vivado Hardware Manager.

11.Open Hardware Manager ->  Open Target -> Auto connect

12. Add your memory. For this, right click on device (xc7a35t_0) -> Add Configuration Memory Device -> write on Search "MX25L3233" ->  select the part with mx25l3233f-spi-x1_x2_x4.

13.Right click on the flash memory (mx25l3233f-spi-x1_x2_x4) -> Program Configuration Memory Device -> add configuration file (<project_name>.bin file found in runs/impl  folder)   -> click OK 

Below are the steps for programing the flash from Vivado SDK.

11. In SDK, after you created you application and verified that it's working, go to Xilinx ->Program FPGA and beside microblaze_0 select <yourapplicationname>.elf instead of bootloop

12. Go to Xilinx -> Program Flash, then select the download.bit located inside of your hardware platform folder and leave the Offset box empty, then choose the right flah memory type. (part number is MX25L3233F )

Cheers,

Ana-Maria

Archived