PMOD BT2 documentation error ?

jrrk

Question

I purchased a PMOD-BT2 recently and since (according to your documentation) the SPI connector uses the same power as the regular PMOD connector, I though I could just connect it via the SPI header (not supplied), for programming. Strangely enough, the FPGA board (a Nexys4-DDR) would not power up. An investigation reveals a strange fact: according to an ohm-meter the power on the SPI header is reversed compared to your documentation. I would appreciate it if someone from Digilent could confirm this from the PCB schematics and update your documentation ASAP, as well as issue an errata, because connecting the power the wrong way round has a habit of blowing things up.

pmodbt2_blockdiagram.jpg

2 answers to this question

Hi @jrrk,

You are correctly, the image for showing the J2 header is has the ground pin and the power pin incorrectly labeled. As per the Pmod BT2 schematic, VCC is on pin 5 and Ground is on pin 6. I will make sure this gets corrected.on

Out of curiosity, why are you using the SPI header? That header is really only used to upgrade the firmware loaded o the RN-42 module.

Thanks,
JColvin

The SPI header has a number of uses, the main useful one for the end user is being able to switch between SPP/DUN/HID mode (one at a time with one peer), and all-powerful HCI mode which supports any profile and up to seven slaves. Obviously with some pathetic Arduino attached the SPP might be more suitable, but with an FPGA running a Linux softcore, what's not to like about the scary HCI mode ?

More information (for experts only) is available at https://github.com/lorf/csr-spi-ftdi

Archived