MPLab Chipkit Import Issues

D4ILYD0SE

Question

I'm pretty confident I am following instructions to the letter but it's possible I am doing something wrong.  But any assistance here would be great.

MPLab X (5.20), XC32 (2.10), Arduino 1.8.10, Chipkit Library 2.10, Importer 1.0.6 (All the latest), Target Board is Pro MX 7.  The latest importer states these versions should be acceptable because of the whole "or later" caveat.  I've added photos showing I'm my directories (pretty sure they're all pointing to the correct location

I'm trying to upload the Chipkit Wire - Master Reader .ino file.  I select the Pro MX 7 in Arduino IDE, open the sketch, and save it to a different folder.  Is that possibly the wrong step?  Just spit balling.

Is there some grand secret to making this work that I don't know and the internet refuses to tell us?

Capture.JPG.00f928e4280a24305784181bfd1a77d7.JPGCapture2.JPG.6b2ea1896ac29887b9deacb728d3ac3f.JPGCapture3.JPG.9307e93e17ee2acb16712803da77f3e7.JPG

Here's what that last photo says:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ArduinoBuilderRunner.preprocess(ArduinoBuilderRunner.java:109)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ArduinoBuilderRunner.preprocess(ArduinoBuilderRunner.java:84)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ChipKitProjectImporter.preprocessSourceProject(ChipKitProjectImporter.java:307)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ChipKitProjectImporter.execute(ChipKitProjectImporter.java:174)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.wizard.ImportWorker.importChipKitProjectFiles(ImportWorker.java:275)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.wizard.ImportWorker.createProjectFromChipKit(ImportWorker.java:189)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.wizard.ImportWorker.invokeImporterTasks(ImportWorker.java:144)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.wizard.ImportWorker.doInBackground(ImportWorker.java:94)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.wizard.ImportWorker.doInBackground(ImportWorker.java:72)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(SwingWorker.java:295)
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)
    at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(SwingWorker.java:334)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ArduinoBuilderRunner.lambda$findMainLibraryPaths$0(ArduinoBuilderRunner.java:191)
    at java.lang.Iterable.forEach(Iterable.java:75)
    at java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableCollection.forEach(Collections.java:1080)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ArduinoBuilderRunner.findMainLibraryPaths(ArduinoBuilderRunner.java:186)
    at com.microchip.mplab.nbide.embedded.chipkit.importer.ArduinoBuilderRunner.preprocess(ArduinoBuilderRunner.java:99)
    ... 14 more

1 answer to this question

Hi @D4ILYD0SE,

I haven't used this importer before (Digilent works with their own Digilent Core now), but I tested nearly the same setup (exception is that I have MPLAB X 3.60 rather than a newer version, all other pieces the same version as you), but encountered the same error. The way that project is copied to a different location so that can be imported seems strange to me since I would expect that it needs more information to import, but that is what the tutorial states, so I followed it.

My guess now is that either the newer chipKIT Cores are no longer compatible with the importer tool that has a 2017 date (perhaps unlikely based on my limited knowledge of how cores are designed, but I don't know this for certain) or the Arduino IDE had something changed.

If I get a successful import on one of these older revisions, I'll let you know.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived