Adept2 "Test Shorts" on Atlys - expected outcome?

sapperlott

Question

I just pulled my Atlys from the cellar to try it for the first time after buying it in 2013. I can connect to it fine with Adept2 but I'm a bit confused about the expected outcome after pressing the "Test Shorts" button on the "Test" tab. On my board, this comes back with a "red" status and some of the LEDs above the slide switches on the physical board lit. I would have expected a green status for "no shorts found". Unfortunately, I couldn't find any documentation clarifying this. Other than that the BIST load seems to work fine (all buttons and LEDs work as well as the HDMI out and sound generation).

5 answers to this question

Please find attached a screenshot of the Adept2 window after running "Test Shorts" as well as a photo of the Atlys LEDs at the same time. As you can see on the photo there are no peripherals other than the PROG USB connection and the power supply connected to the board.

adept2-test_shorts.png

atlys-short_test_status.jpg

@sapperlott

It's too bad that your board has been sitting around gathering dust for so long; I have one that is rarely not in use.

I assume that you are running the demo_BIST project? I abandoned all of those Digilent Microblaze demos long ago; too complicated and too much of a hassle. I wouldn't read too much into what "Test Short" means unless you are willing to slog though all of the source code to find out what ia being tested. [edit] Obviously, I'm not prepared to do that.  It sounds as if the board is working just fine.

Create you own HDL project to do something useful, involving the UART, a couple of PMOD signals, the LED and switches, and test that. If there's a spare LED available almost all of my code includes a 'heartbeat' counter to indicate that the design is being clocked. Just create a free-running counter and select the appropriate bit to toggle the LED. I'm almost positive that you are ready to get that board being useful.

[edit] Those SMT USB micro connectors will not be able to withstand years of use and will shear off unless you take measures to secure them to the board. Fortunately, the Atlas has a standard JTAG header as a alternative.

Found the problem. If either JP6 or JP7 is loaded, "Test Shorts" will fail (although looking at the schematic I don't see any reason why that should happen).

I've now restored my jumper configuration to the one shown in the product photo here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/127815101@N07/18175166016

If a Digilent engineer could weigh in on why JP6/7 would trip the short check, that would be great.

Archived