Vitis HW Platform in Arty7-20

Arty7_Lover

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @Arty7_Lover

Unfortunately the Arty Z7 does not yet officially support Vitis.

That said, you can still use the Arty Z7 with Vivado 2019.2 and Vitis. The workflow for creating a basic embedded application has not changed much from previous version of Vivado with Xilinx SDK, described here.

In order to create a application project, you must have a hardware specification (.xsa file) that targets the board. This hardware specification is exported from a Vivado project (File > Export > Export Hardware). I have attached both a project and specification for the Arty Z7-20 to this post. The project only uses the GPIOs and Zynq preset from our board files.

Once you have a specification, you can launch Vitis. In the new application project dialog in the image you posted, if you click on the + button at the top left, you can choose a custom specification for your project. This can be any XSA file that supports the Arty Z7-20, whether you are using mine, or exported your own. If you keep clicking next through the dialog, you are able to choose an application template. This works the same as it did in Xilinx SDK. I have attached a zipped Vitis workspace with a hardware platform and a slightly modified Hello World application.

The Arty can then be programmed from Vitis through the Xilinx > Program FPGA dialog, provided that the XSA included a bitstream. The application can be run by right clicking on the system project or application project and clicking Run As > Launch on Hardware.

I hope that this provided a decent starting point.

Thanks,

Arthur

vitis_export_archive.ide.zip arty_z7_20_base.xsa Arty-Z7-20-Base.xpr.zip

Archived