Probe compensation problem

thoriam

Question

Hi I have a problem with probe calibration in analog discovery 2.

I have read

But the problem still exist.

2019-11-11_11h03_36.thumb.png.59cf5a22a71fdef43d55e368465107b8.png

When I turn trimmer on probe nothing change. I checked probe on another scope and it looks ok (when I trimm capacitor on probe, edge changes). Im using bnc adapter.
What I didn;t do is trimm capacitor on board (red one) because Im not prettu sure which one is which.

9 answers to this question

@JColvin Setup is really basic. I connected probe from AWG1 to CH1with BNC adapter. When I trimm capacitor on probe (red circle), edges of square wave doesn't change at all. 0 Ohm on AWG, DC coupling on CH1. Probe is set to x10 (square wave looks like in y first post) but also x1 doesn't work (square wave looks ok but trimming change nothing)

2019-11-11_19h52_11.png

Hi @thoriam

On the BNC adapter the Scope inputs are single ended. The negative inputs are connected to the same ground as the AWG GND/shield.
For high frequency or low amplitude signals it is recommended to connect the scope probe ground clip too.
When measuring other devices/circuits, with separate supply, the ground connection is mandatory.

The trimmer on this scope probe is on BNC side, in parallel.
When you have connected this side to the AWG it didn't count because of the low impedance of the AWG output.
image.png.c87cc32cd1c7633acbc5b3e7d9e8459f.png

Other probes which have the trimmer in series on the 9M, on the tip side, the direction is less essential but important :)
image.png.538e128f511415b3f99b74ac7edfd8dc.png

Picture source:
https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/test-methods/oscilloscope/scope-probe-compensation.php

Archived