analog discovery 2 stopped working

ad2user2019

Question

My AD2 gets a "No Device Detected" from Waveforms. It was working fine until I didn't disconnect the scope and wave gen from tube amplifier before powering down the amp. I tried the AD2 on a windows box and linux box and with different cables and in all cases the get the no device detected. Is there a reset switch or circuit protection switch I can do to get the AD2 working?

3 answers to this question

Hi @ad2user2019,

@attila will be better able to comment on the hardware side of things with regards to what might have happened, though I am a bit surprised it happened during the powering down sequence since that isn't usually associated with current spikes or something similar.

As an additional check, are you able to see the Analog Discovery 2 within Digilent's Adept 2 software? On a Windows system, are you able see that the Analog Discovery 2 is plugged in when looking at the Device Manager? This post here has a nice list of possible options and what to expect to see in the Device manager.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi J,

As per your reference (forum.digilentinc.com/topic/19135-analog-discovery-2-stopped-working/#comment-51470 ) I used window's device manager to detect the AD2. Using a short cable and trying different USB ports windows did not detect the AD2. 

" - Nothing shows up:

- Connect the device directly to the computer's USB plug without using external hub.

- Try to use different USB cable and computer plug.

The device or its plug might be damaged."

Short of sending my AD2 to the recycler is there anything I can do to bring it back to life?

thanks

AD2user

Hi @ad2user2019

If you want to troubleshoot the device, you could verify the ferrite beads are ok.
You should measure about zero ohm when the device is unpowered, and about 5V between VBUS and GND when connected to USB.

The next to verify would be the USB controller power rails.

Analog supply switch, IC20, when the device is detected but you get error during connection to the device.

Internal rails, in case the oscilloscope reading and/or AWG outputs are wrong:

Archived