Hi! Problems with two JTAG-HS3 adapters

Lukas G

Question

Hi,

I'm a DevOps engineer and right now trying to solve an issue with one of our test systems. We are using two JTAG-HS3 Rev. A adapters, each connected to their own powered USB ports on a desktop computer (Win10, Vivado Lab 2018.2 & Digilent Adept), to flash two different Xilinx boards. Somehow, the adapters randomly disappear and only a restart of the computer makes them show up in Vivado Lab or Adept again.

Did anyone ever experience similar issues with these adapters? Could it be a problem with the drivers?

Any input would be much appreciated!

/Lukas 

4 answers to this question

Hi @Lukas G,

I have reached out to another engineer for their thoughts on this, but I wanted to confirm that you have the latest FTDI driver (2.12.28 in this case). I know you said randomly, so I presume that you have not observed that Vivado Lab Edition is taking control/enumerating the JTAG HS3 while you have Digilent Adept "attached" to the JTAG HS3 or any other boards or software being plugged in or started that would want to talk to the FTDI chip? Have tried using a different USB cable or USB port on the desktop to help rule out that particular hardware failure?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

thanks for getting back to me. Yes, we tried different ports and different cables and the serial numbers are not the same. We have three setups of this kind and they all show the described behavior. We have many other setups with one of the target boards being differently powered and they don't seem to have the issue. I will talk to one of our HW engineers and discuss how the different power supplies could affect the adapter. I need to check the exact pin allocation for the boards and compare them. I just wanted to make sure, this isn't a common SW issue or so.. 

BRLukas

@Lukas G

We've never observed this software behavior before. I assume that you've tried closing hardware server and/or Vivado and then reopening it prior to rebooting the PC? Are you running multiple instances of Vivado to connect to these devices and program the target board? Are you using the Adept application for anything other than debugging a Vivado issue?

Thanks,
Michael

Archived