Internet (no wifi available) connection to Arty A7 board

josejose

Question

Hi, 

Could you please can provide any guidance on how to use remotelly the Arty A7 board from my cell phone? The board will be on a non wifi ( any kind of wifi...) connection área, governing staff for the garden: which extra devices should I connect, how, available IPs..

Thanks in advance

9 answers to this question

@josejose,

The easy answer is to place a WiFi router in your garden.  Connect the Arty to the router via a network cable, and then connect to that router from wherever--to include from your cell phone.  You may need to guarantee a fixed  IP address, depending on how deep you want or need to go into the DHCP stack.

Dan

Thanks for the answer Dan. Then a portable wifi router (including the sim card inside) will connect the board by cable to the ARJ45 connector in the Arty?. Any recommendation about the router+sim card +Arty chassis?. This will be allocated outside the house... 

@josejose

39 minutes ago, josejose said:

Any recommendation about the router+sim card +Arty chassis?. This will be allocated outside the house... 

My suggestion would be to 3D print something.  That said, my 3D printer doesn't have a bed big enough to print such a case.  Perhaps 3D printing parts and pieces that could then be caulked together?

@zygot's comment is well taken though: there be dragons here.  (Not that I wouldn't want to do it myself, but ...)  How will you handle the garden sprinkler system so the electronics don't get wet?  Misty mornings?  The greenhouse effect?  Temperature extremes?

These are all things that you'll need to think about, but not things that I have the experience or training to guide you through.

Dan

@josejose

You don't mention what kind of functionality your Arty A7 performs. Just thinking about a remote outdoor installation for the Arty good old RS-232, or better yet RS-422  is the simplest, safest and more secure way to establish communications between a remote device and a secure device. You have fewer wires, and can run much longer, and cheaper cables. If 57600 baud is adequate you might consider such an option. Of course you need a compatible connection on the other end. I'd rather not contemplate the phone connection end.

2 minutes ago, D@n said:

These are all things that you'll need to think about, but not things that I have the experience or training to guide you through.

Here's a thought that @D@nand I can completely agree on. I have some experience with electronics in hostile environments and I wouldn't want to assume the responsibility of providing guidance in the form of simple answers to simple questions either. It's harder than you think.

Hi @josejose,

The only example that we have that controls a board remotely uses the Pmod Wifi with a YouTube video and a thread on it here. However, this uses WiFi which you stated you would not be able to use. Some sort of bluetooth control would be the next choice (though you have to be within range to connect to the board), but we do not have an example for that.

As both Dan and zygot have pointed out though, it will not be the easiest endeavor depending on your end goal.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @josejose,

There is a Digilent Design Contest project, the winners from this year. They made a project that controlled a Zybo Z7 over Internet. It was a platform for students to prototipe and test their HDL design. The project it's a bit more complex; they segmented the memory and allowed multiple users to access different peripherals of the board at the same time. It's very well documented so you might find some things to help you there. The project works and you can contact them over github if something is unclear. Here is the git repo  and here is the documentation.

Maybe it can help you. 

Bianca

Archived