Offline Installer

mattk

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi @mattk,

I'm a little uncertain of what you mean in this situation; you can download Adept 2 from it's Resource Center, https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/software/adept/start, which downloads the executable (or equivalent if not on Windows) to install it. From that point, it is my understanding that no further internet access would be needed. Is this not what you needed?

Thanks,
JColvin

The computer i need to install Adept 2 on can never touch the internet as it is a lab computer and is never allowed on the network. So i must find a offline installer to install the entire program on the computer via CD/DVD.

@mattk

My development PCs are sequestered from the internet as well; and have all of the available Digilent tools installed using the executables provided by Digilent's Resource Center. I just downloaded them to an internet connected PC. We're not talking about large files here. The Vivado tools are way too large for physical media and have to be downloaded. Perhaps you need to submit a request to your IT person to vet the tools and have them installed. It doesn't make a lot of sense that users in a closed environment would be allowed to install software on their own in such a setting.

I might chime in with an opinion here: This problem will generally become more severe in the future now that Windows 7 is EOL and obviously unsafe: There is a big number of (pre)-Windows 7 based embedded machines etc out there that came with a 6- or 7 digit price tag and must be isolated from the web nowadays.

I am personally aware of one large vendor who is totally oblivious to this problem (e.g. trying to stream a welcome video with their driver installation and failing, relying on 256-bit encryption which is not included in Vanilla Windows 7 as found on a recovery partition) and it has cost them dearly. In a trade fair or marketing presentation, everything is new and shiny but dinosaurs walk the factory floors... which is BTW the reason why GPIB needs so heavy cables ?

5 minutes ago, zygot said:

About 20 MB to less than 1 MB depending on OS and format. Digilent has a nice GUI configuration tool for Windows but not for Linux.

Is this just the GUI and not the necessary FPGA programming portions? 

I've been thinking that we've not been talking about the same things for a while now.

In order to use your CMOD you need Vivado to create the configuration bitstreams. The last time I downloaded Vivado it was a file north of 40 GB. Yes, Gigabytes. Xilinx also supplies much smaller installers that require an internet connection in order to install Vivado on you PC.  Digilent supplies tools for standalone configuration of the FPGA using bitstream that you create. Also, their tools can supplement Vivado to allow Vivado Hardware Manager to use the Digilent configuration facilities. Digilent also has software development tools and APIs for compiling your own software applications using various interfaces found on their FPGA boards. These files are all reasonably small. Trying to do FPGA development in a room or building without any internet access is going to be difficult without full support from the IT people maintaining your network and computing resources.

Archived