Genesys 2 DDR3 with Vivado 2019.1

DanK

Question

Hello,

I have a Genesys 2 board, and I want to use the DDR3 interface on it. I created a new project and I selected the Genesys 2 board as the target. The board files were automatically installed by Vivado, and I verified that "mig.prj" is installed. I also created a block design and added a "Memory Interface Generator (MIG 7 Series)" IP block in it. I was under the impression that I should be able to just click through the customization and all settings should be pre-populated with values from "mig.prj". This is not the case, and I don't want to manually select all pins used for the DDR3.

I am running Vivado 2019.1 on Ubuntu Linux.

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a way to tell MIG to use the existing prj file?

Thanks,
Dan K

4 answers to this question

10 hours ago, DanK said:

What am I doing wrong?

No. Unfortunately the MIG tools is a pain in the "" to use. You can't modify a design. You have almost always have to slog though every step for each iteration of a design. As I recall it does let you import pin assignments from another project. I don't know of any easy way to use the tool.

MIG configuration that comes from the board file only runs DDR3 at 400 MHz, while the memory can run as fast as 933 MHz, but due to the way clocking is implemented on a board I was only able to achieve approximately 900 MHz (1111 ps period). DDR3 section of the board reference page contains everything you need to know to create a MIG project yourself, or to modify pre-generated one to run memory faster. I wish the board would contain another clock source so that it would be possible to run the memory at full speed (1866 MT/s).

I've used MIG a lot for my own custom FPGA boards, so I don't have any problems using it.

I figured out how it's supposed to work!

When you add the MIG IP block, "Run Block Automation" pops up in the designer assistance area.

image.png.be80c72a0d2adce7d448d7e5f5a2262b.png

When you click on that, it gives you the option of pulling in the configuration from "mig.prj".

image.png.b5e4d98276a308aa91ac627faa68555d.png

image.png.10be3056ec2b645cb2bdf5bd78937b94.png

If you double click on the block now, it brings up the MIG GUI and you can make changes to the defaults provided by "mig.prj".

...and yes, the pin selection is going to be there!

image.thumb.png.e357e54e35414c6aa7c1883f5f78d987.png

Archived