"01111110", --  ******
       "00111100"  --   ****
    );

signal rom_addr, rom_col: unsigned(0 to 2);
    signal rom_bit: std_logic;

rom_bit <= xxx(to_integer(rom_addr))(to_integer(rom_col)); 

Edited by askhunter

3 answers to this question

For starters you haven't included the definition for type rom_type; that should clear up a lot of your confusion. You don't mention if Vivado synthesizes the code that this snippet is part of. I bet it doesn't since ???????? isn't a valid VHDL statement ( as far as I know ). The problem smells like a quiz question.

Edited by zygot

2 hours ago, zygot said:

For starters you haven't included the definition for type rom_type; that should clear up a lot of your confusion. You don't mention if Vivado synthesizes the code that this snippet is part of. I bet it doesn't since ???????? isn't a valid VHDL statement ( as far as I know ). The problem smells like a quiz question.

I'm sorry my fault. I erased the question mark.it was just for attention.

type rom_type is array (0 to 7) of std_logic_vector(7 downto 0); -- This is type.

Also this is not a quiz question. 

The following code is quoted from pog chu's book. The code I shared in my first post is a different spelling of pong chu's code and it works. I am wondering how it works. I've never seen such syntax before.

rom_data <= BALL_ROM(to_integer(rom_addr));
rom_bit <= rom_data(to_integer(rom_co1));

14 hours ago, askhunter said:

I've never seen such syntax before

That's probably good. Generally it's a good idea to have a coding style that is understandable to others who are reasonably competent with a language. I've known of people who purposely create obfuscated code in an attempt at job security. Sometimes certain people can't resist demonstrating how clever they (think that) are. Some languages like C are ideal for writing terse code. I've seen beautifully written code that is terse; but it is also informative and not mysterious. I used to subscribe to the C User's Journal (I think that was the name) who held an annual C coding obfuscation contest. The only rule was that a standard compiler wouldn't choke on it. Some of the code was amazing and did things that mortal C programmers like me couldn't decipher from reading it afters a month's effort. While entertaining I wouldn't want to start a job having and having a few thousand lines of it thrown at me to maintain and fix. Badly written, poorly tested, and incorrect code with layers of "band-aid fixes" that only obscure the actual problem is bad enough; even with little or a swamp of incorrect documentation to wade through.

Here's a question for @askhunter: What is a std_logic_vector? Answer that and perhaps you will see the light bulb glow.

[edit] I'm no doubt the king of edited posts to the Digilent forums; I seem be confirming that as I type. My fingers do the walking, to quote an old ad, and my brain isn't so good at catching wandering digits. Anyway, I never make an edit to cover past errors, or add to the confusion of random readers arriving late to the thread progression. I suggest that in this case your removal of the evidence of a crime.. er error is a mistake. Better to have just corrected it after the post pointing it out.

Edited by zygot