ADTL082 Pin Assignment in Analog Parts Kit

Spitzer

I just noticed the pin assignment used on the (SMT to DIP) adapter for the ADTL082 opamp contained in the new Analog Parts Kit.

I see the opamp pins are mapped to the DIP adapter in the following manner

Opamp     Adapter

1                 8

2                 7

3                 6

4                 5

5                 4

6                  3

7                 2

8                1

I'm just wondering why you hate us?  I'm teasing, but you do realize this defeats the standardized footprint for a dual opamp package - right?

Thanks

Hi @Spitzer,

Sorry for the late reply. I was curious about this, so I took out an Analog Parts kit, measured the pins for the ADTL082 and they are:

Opamp     Adapter

1                 1

2                 2

3                 3

4                 4

5                 5

6                  6

7                7

8                8

Please check the picture attached. You can even see clear that the traces are connecting the pin 1 of the OPamp to the  pin 1 of the Dip connector.

If you received something else, please attach a picture with the traces and I will look into it.

Best regards,

Bianca

71899635_1434653480018514_3680654137923469312_n.jpg

Hi Bianca,

Thanks for the response.  The image you show is from the ADTL082 adapter from the previous Analog Parts Kit, and is what I would like to have ordered.  I used this kit and adapter previously and it worked great.

Unfortunately, your new Analog Parts Kit (ADALP2000) not only has different ingredients, but different adapters.  I've attached photos of the two different kits.  I'm guessing you grabbed an adapter from the old kit.

I've also included a photo of the ADTL082 adapter from the new kit.  The adapter is shown plugged into the provided breadboard and you can see that the pins are mapped incorrectly.  Pin 1 should be in the upper left corner but is instead in the upper right corner.  I haven't yet tried other adapters from the same kit, but eventually will as the semester progresses.

I'm looking in your storefront now and don't see the parts kit I was shipped (ADALP2000 Analog Parts Kit).  Maybe this means I received the wrong version of the parts kit?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Analog Parts Kits Compared - reduced.jpg

ADTL082 Adapter - New Close Up.jpg

Hi @Spitzer,

I took a look at our storefront as well, and it seems that the parts kit (while still maintaining the same storefront pictures, but changed the photos for the individual components) has a new version of the kit and links to Analog Devices reference page on the kit here: https://wiki.analog.com/university/tools/adalp2000/parts-index. Based on this, I would presume the kit and the included components are selected by ADI, though I do not know this for certain.

I do not have this new kit myself, but I have reached out to some of my co-workers to see if they have it and can confirm the pin arrangement of the ADTL082.

Thank you,
JColvin

Thanks for the quick response.  I checked your storefront earlier today and agree that all of the new ingredients appear to be properly listed - though I didn't check each one in detail.  The only thing that needs to be updated is the photo of the box containing the kit. 

I'll try to check later today to determine whether this issue (adapter pin mapping) exists on other adapters in the new kit.  I'll post my findings later.

I'm also working with Jarrell to find out who selects the components for this kit (thanks for the link to the Wiki).  I've built a lab component (using mostly Digilent material) into an existing graduate electronics course.  I have recommendations and suggestions on the contents of this kit, as it relates to educational use.  I'm happy to share, and hopefully even influence the contents of future kits.

Thanks for your help!

I checked the pin mapping and most all of the ICs have pins mapped backwards.  This is an issue because the pin assignment of most adapters in this kit (regardless of which IC is installed) do not adhere to the industry standard for DIP (Dual Inline Package) foot prints.  This can lead to lots of confusion and possibly damage of components.

It is particularly a problem with opamps, because standard pin assignments exist for both single and dual opamps, and they are widely followed.  A user might be inclined to plug the ADTL082 from this kit into another circuit with DIP footprint, expecting a drop-in replacement.  The best case here is a non-functioning circuit, with potential to damage to the IC or surrounding circuits.

I'd recommend some type of user warning stating that these adapters don't adhere to the standardized pin assignment for DIP packages.  I've included a photo that shows the silkscreen, which corresponds with the IC pins.  

Thanks

Other DIPs reduced.jpg

Hi @Spitzer,

I learned for certain that Digilent did not get a hand in developing this new kit (hence the lack of Digilent's icon on the new kit). Could you let me know which chips had reverse or changed pinouts so I can get that updated on the store page and the Digilent Wiki? I will also work on getting a new kit tracked down so we can make note of any other changes that have occurred in detail.

Thanks,
JColvin

I got the impression that ADI developed the new parts kit, based on the wiki you provided - and the 'sounds very much like an ADI part number' part number.  Either way, thought you should be aware.

The photo I posted shows the adapters that have this defect, though maybe you can't read the part numbers due to the poor quality of my photo.  But I can make out the silk screen pin numbers in the photos on your web site.  The DIP adapters are;

AD22151, AD5626, AD7920, AD8210, AD8226, AD8542, ADTL082, LTC1541, 

The remaining few adapters seem to be ok, but I'd double check.

Archived