davec

How to program Arty flash

Question

So I created a microblaze design on Arty in Vivado 2015.3 with lwIP axiether and some GPIO to control my external hardware.  I wrote my C code in SDK.  From SDK, I can download the FPGA config and then run my C code on Arty by doing Run -> Run As -> 1. Launch On Hardware.  Everything works great!

Now I want to put this all in flash so it will come up on power-up reset.  I read Xilinx #63605, how to create an MCS boot image, but I am confused.  Do I need to include an axi_quad_spi in my block design, or does the SDK flash programmer take care of this? (I don't need SPI in my design otherwise).  I'm not sure what files to combine into the mcs.  Is there a tutorial on this subject? Thanks-  Arty is a great product!

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your input. I am using the fastest clock for the configuration of the bitstream, 66MHz (I tried with slower ones). I have seen the clock instead of being 66MHz turning to 2.5MHz (with the oscilloscope). This is something that happens not all the times. I think I am using the same strategy with you by having the processor reset from the mb_reset of the mig core for the DDR. I don't know if it is an issue of the revision of the board. We had some problems coming from the reset button to another design we used. I tried to change the reset pin with another button, but it does not seem to change anything.

Does that mean you have another design for this same board?  Does it work on this board?

If so, we might be able to focus the discussion on how your two designs are different.

Dan

yes, but it does not make use of microblaze, bootloaders etc, it is a rather simple design, so it is irrelevant with what I want to do unfortunately...

cheers

George

How about this then: can you get any of the demo programs running, or are you working with one of the demos and if so ... which one?

Dan

I have been using this board since quite a while, mostly to qualify the SEM IP and its ability to correct the SEUs that appear on the configuration memory. I have been using the flash memory to load my design in case of a power reset for a simple design that worked along with the SEM IP under radiation. So far, I did not have major issues with the board itself. (the board I am using to test my design is not under radiation by the way.

Currently I have been using the example from Avnet for the SPI SREC bootloader with the echo server of xilinx as an application. This is where my project is mainly based, so I am not using fancy things, I am using the board configuration files, the examples etc that are already available from the vendors themselves. This is why it is rather bizarre that it does not work properly.

Edited by George

I followed the post that mskreen posted and I encounter an error that says:

Retrieving Flash info...
ERROR: [Xicom 50-48] Start address (0x44A00000) is outside of the device memory range.

ERROR: Flash Operation Failed

This is when I try to program the flash memory. Has anyone encountered this? Thanks!

Hi VC26,

Just to make sure, what board are to trying to program the quad spi flash?  And are you trying to program something like the "getting started with microblaze" or are you using your own design? 

thank you,

Jon

Edited by jpeyron

Hi vc26,

Sorry about issues with the Arty. I was able to get the quad spi to work using the Flash baseaddr as 0x00C00000. I have updated the tutorial to reflect this.

thank you,

Jon