anshumantech

Xilinx PROM XCF02S not programming

Question

Hello,

On my FPGA board I have FPGA XC3S400-PQG208 and PROM XCF02S. I am using Digilent’s Adept to program my device by using HS1 cable. If I program only FPGA XC3S400-PQG208 by using HS1 then it program successfully and executes also. While if I choose to program XCF02S by using HS1 it shows massage “Programming Successfully” but it fails to execute. While by using Xilinx ISE 10.1 Impact to programs FPGA XC3S400-PQG208 and PROM XCF02S, it programs successfully and executes also, in this I used parallel cable to program.

I have tried .svf and .mcs both types of files.

All connections are same in both programming methods i.e using ISE 10.1 Impact and Digilent’s Adept.

Attaching screenshot of same please check.

Thank you.

adept.jpg

4 answers to this question

Hi @anshumantech,

I think this is one of those situations where Adept (in it's early days of development) had extra devices added to it's internal compatibility table in the thoughts that they would be programmed in the same way that other devices in their family would be, but that is not the case everything, such as for the PROM XCF02S. I believe Adept will be updated at some point so that it properly excludes these devices that are not actually compatible.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin

That’s funny, something that is purchased & working to do specific function like programming PROM XCF02S through parallel port JTAG (ISE 10.1 Impact), you mean to say, Adept HS1 will endeavor to exclude it & make it lame programming tool! Please think and give proper solution & not such a cryptic reply expected.

@anshumantech

The Adept GUI application was developed to provide a lightweight application for programming the FPGA and flash memories on Digilent system boards. It was not meant to be a general purpose programmer for all CPLD/FPGA/Flash combinations, and as a result we only tested the device combinations that were on Digilent system boards. We recommend using iMPACT 14.x with out plug-in for general purpose programming of older CPLD and Flash devices. For newer devices we recommending using Vivado. I don't think Vivado supports the XCF02S but I know it's supported in iMPACT. Have you tried using the HS1 and iMPACT with the Digilent Plugin to program the XCF02S on your board? You don't need a license to use iMPACT (part of ISE) for programming and you can download 14.7 here:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/design-tools.html

https://store.digilentinc.com/digilent-plugin-for-xilinx-tools-download-only/

Thanks,
Michael

One thing I forgot: if you install ISE 14.7 and have it install the cable drivers then there shouldn't be any need to manually install the Digilent plugin.