Which TCP/IP Library for MX7 Pro Board

saibot

Question

Hello,

I'm maintaining a software project on a Chipkit mx7 pro board.

It was developed in MPLAB X 2.10 and XC32 1.11.

I was requested to implement the TCP/IP Client Server functionality for communication with a PC.

So I searched around how to get started with it, but got totally confused.

The Chipkit MX7 Pro Reference manual tells me:

The Microchip Applications Library, available for download from
the Microchip web site, provides full protocol stack support compatible with the PIC32MX795 MAC and the
LAN8720 PHY. Microchip also provides numerous example programs illustrating the use of their network protocol
stack for various applications.

Ok, so I googled for this, and found this site, which tells me to use harmony for PIC32:

https://www.microchip.com/mplab/microchip-libraries-for-applications

So I tried to get it running, installed the harmony plugin, but it seems like this is all too much Overhead. And it seems like Harmony is not supporting the MX7 Pro, there is no Board Support Package available. I just want to add the TCP/IP Socket functionality to my existing project and not create a complete new project.

Do you know if there is any library available which is working with this board?

2 answers to this question

Hi @saibot,

Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of resources for using MPLAB with the Pro MX7 board. The Digilent Core (essentially an extra library set of the Arduino IDE) does have some materials for TCP/IP materials for it, though it does not use MPLAB. I am not familiar with Harmony, so I don't have any advice for that end of things.

Thanks,
JColvin

You should use the TCP/IP stack provided by Microchip.

In the old days, before Harmony, Microchip included PIC32 TCP/IP stack in the Microchip Application Library. Now I noticed that the mentioned page directs you to use Harmony for PIC32. When using Harmony, you shouldn't look for MX7 Pro board, instead you should look for the PIC32MX795F512L microcontroller.

On the other hand, I noticed that Microchip provides Microchip TCP/IP Lite Stack, maybe you could use it.

Best Regards,

Cristian Fatu

Archived