djtgcfg / JTAG HS-3 can't program XC3S400

DJOConnor

Question

Hi,

I have an XC3S400 based board I am prototyping some thing on.

I find that if I program the FPGA with djtgcfg it appears to work (command success, done LED cycles etc) but the design is hung.

If I use the same programming tool via impact and the Vivado hw_server it works fine.

Any suggestions what I may be doing wrong?
Thanks

2 answers to this question

@DJOConnor

XC3S400 is an old device and my guess is that we most likely designed one or more part from the same family onto a Digilent board, tested it, and assumed it would work for all parts in the family and didn't explicitly test programming an XC3S400.  We never really intended for djtgcfg to be used as a general purpose FPGA configuration tool... we only intended for it to be used to configure the devices that were on Digilent System boards. Now that ISE and Vivado both include integrated support for our programmers there is no need to add support for new devices, nor is there any motivation to go back and test any of the legacy devices that aren't utilized on active Digilent system boards. If we do another release of djtgcfg then we will likely remove all legacy devices from jtscdvclist.txt so that those devices end up being unrecognized by djtgcfg and then have jtsc spit out a message that says to use iMPACT or Vivado.

In the end the solution is to use iMPACT or Vivado, both of which have the programming algorithms built in and tested by Xilinx.

Thanks,
Michael

Archived