Conflicts when using Waveforms with Analog Discovery2 and Cora

PaulW

Question

I have been using Analog Discovery2 and Digital Discovery for over a year now with Waveforms and it has always worked as expected.  Recently we started an embedded project using one of the Cora boards.  I have noticed sporadic problems with Waveforms when I have both the Analog Discovery2 plugged in and the Cora board plugged in (to USB.)  Problems such as the Xilinx SDK  not being able to program the Cora board and Waveforms not being able to see the Analog Discovery2 module.

Now, I have gotten to the point where I cannot even launch Waveforms at all.  It just hangs, I don't even get to the demo mode screen.  I  have tried uninstalling and then re-installing both the 32-bit Windows version and the 64-bit Windows versions of Waveforms and neither works - they both hang, not allowing me to even see the demo screen.  I don't even have any hardware (Cora or Analog Discovery2) plugged into the computer.  

It seems that perhaps my registry has been messed up.  Do you have any app notes or suggestions on what I can do at this point?  I sure would like to use Waveforms :) 

My system specs:

Intel i7-7700HQ CPU at 2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 64-bit operating system, x64 based processor

Windows 10 Pro, version 1709, OS Build 16299.1087

Any help is much appreciated.  Been searching the forums for similar topic and have not found any yet.

4 answers to this question

Well, I'm back up and running.  For what its worth, this is what I did:

1.   Uninstall Waveforms, then reboot PC

2.  Re-install Waveforms 64bit, then reboot PC

3.  Start Waveforms in safe mode - it worked.  Then started Waveforms in normal mode - it still worked.

Not sure what the problem was but I'm back up and running.

Hi @PaulW

Good to hear it is working and thank you for posting the solution.

The problem could have been with the Adept Runtime version. The Xilinx SDK installing/downgrading to an older version of this.
The WaveForms also installs/uses this Runtime and due to frequent releases contains the latest version.

The Xilinx processes may remain in background, blocking access to devices.
In this case you could kill the hanging process from TaskManager or reboot.

1 hour ago, attila said:

Hi @PaulW

Good to hear it is working and thank you for posting the solution.

The problem could have been with the Adept Runtime version. The Xilinx SDK installing/downgrading to an older version of this.
The WaveForms also installs/uses this Runtime and due to frequent releases contains the latest version.

The Xilinx processes may remain in background, blocking access to devices.
In this case you could kill the hanging process from TaskManager or reboot.

OK, thanks for that info, I'll give that a try.

Archived