pmodBLE

Ely4

Question

Hello,

I want to use a pmodBLE with another pmodBLE. I understand it doesn't need software configuration of the Bluetooth link. For this, I have to  enter a command mode while connected to the PmodBLE through UART with the pmodBLE's first 6 pinouts, haven't I?

Once in command mode, the device can connect to any BLE address using the “C,0,<address>” command. But how can I know the address of the pmodBLE?

Does anyone have an example? Can you help me?

Thanks and sorry for my english,

Ely.

11 answers to this question

Hi,

I have problem that i can´t get into the comand mode. I get it right, that i connect with my phone through some BLE terminal app and just wrote $$$ and i will get there? I´ve tryied it and nothing happens.

Thanks for answer,

A.T.

Hi @JColvin,

I made a project with the PmodBLE IP core and i want to connect my PmodBLE with another BLE device through the adress. I can comunicate with Pmod with my phone app (receive and send data), but i can not get into the command mode. I have connected with "Serial Bluetooth Terminal" (Android), and i have wrote $$$, but nothing happens. I have tried short JP1 on another PmodBLE, but now i can not even find it in my Terminal. What am I doing wrong and how i can fix my another PmodBLE with shorted JP1?

This is just connecting without programing FPGA (just power on). 

serialterminal.png.baed8712c9a46f3f9eb803e868dd50e1.png => image.thumb.png.923589ecb8cdce1877b1d9994d12f752.png =>image.thumb.png.f429dc9faf058568226d6bcb65f50f25.png => image.thumb.png.ef2cd6f0dbc09693dc68543ed23c8e45.png 

Serial Bluetooth Terminal => Scanning => Connecting => Sending $$$

After programing FPGA i can sent to the App data and i can receive.

There is my Vivado Block Design:   design_1.pdf (there is IP core PmodBT2, but i am not using him in the SDK)

I can not post my project into the enclosure. So there is link to download: http://mysharegadget.com/641355521

Hi @ivrsak,

I am working on this same issue with the Pmod BT2 where you can connect to it in the phone application (same application that you are using), but it does not respond to the command mode message of $$$. When using the SDK project, I can go into command mode with a serial terminal, though some of the data I receive back is intelligible. I am looking into this; if I get the Pmod BT2 working correctly, I will see if that also works for Pmod BLE.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

this information is disturbing. I am working on my state examination and i have some deadline and this is last think i need to be done. Can you recomend me some other app or can i make that through the PC? I was trying Teraterm, but i can not write characters and send that (maybe i am doing something wrong in Teraterm). Can you post me SDK project of connecting and getting into the command mode with a serial terminal? I would like to try it with PmodBLE.

Thanks and sorry for my english.
ivrsak

Edited by ivrsak

Hi @ivrsak,

I was able to readily get into command mode through a serial terminal with the Pmod BLE by following the Pmod IPs guide that we have here (in conjunction with this guide for getting the block design made). These include the SDK set that I used.

The only deviation I made was for the AXI Uartlite IP (on a non-Zynq design), I set the UART baud rate to be at 115200 rather than the default 9600 because 115200 is the default used by the Pmod BLE. I was then able to connect to it via a phone app, though I was not able to enter command mode on the phone app, but could enter it through the serial terminal. I will get this set up on two different boards (since you mentioned you wanted two BLEs to communicate with each other) and see if I can readily set them up to auto connect with each other and exchange basic data.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello,

To get the Pmod BLE working through a phone application (so that you can get into command mode via the phone application), you will need to first enable UART Transparent service through the serial terminal on the host computer; this is done through the SS command (while in command mode) setting the UART Transparent Service bit high (detailed on page 23 of the RN4781 User Guide).. You can then confirm the UART Transparent service has been enabled through the GK command as detailed on page 26 of the RN4781 User Guide.

Remote command itself is started not by the $$$ by the remote application (i.e. phone app); it is instead started by !,1 as shown on page 27 section 2.6.4, to which the BLE should respond RMT>.

With regards of connecting the two Pmod BLEs together, you will need to get both modules in UART Transparent service mode via individual serial terminals and then follow directions on page 61; there will likely be other bluetooth devices nearby so you'll need to make sure that you attempt to connect to the correct device rather than a random nearby smart watch.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

Thank you @JColvin. I will try it. I have one more question. I can get into comand mode with usb-uart ttl converter like on picture 1, then connect to another device and i have data! (picture 2.) Then I joined PmodBLE to Nexys 4 DDR to JA and used IP core PmodBLE and i can receive data (not best option to connect, i will try set up PmodBLE through phone application). But i have problem. My data has 20 byte, but with IP core i can use only 4 (u32 data). Is there any way, how to receive longer data?

Thanks,
ivrsak

image.png.6979de960155821f3a20fed2741cd75c.png

Picture 1.

image.thumb.png.b5bb23509b05ffb5514d8b8be88b8fbe.png

Picture 2.

Hello @JColvin,

I have tryied your method of getting to the command mode through  phone app. I did exactly what you wrote, but nothink happens. I get into the command mode through usb-uart ttl converter with $$$ command. Then i send command SS,40 and PmodBLE reply with AOK. Then i confirmed that with command GK (as a pic. 1). I have also tryied command D and you can see that i have enable UART Transparrent service (pic. 2). Then I have tryied to get into the command mode with phone app, but nothink (I´ve also tryied reboot, but nothink works). 

What am I doing wrong? I'm grateful to you for answers.

Thanks,
ivrsak

comandmode.PNG.6ccd00e25edbeee41b021b8d22776a9f.PNG

Pic. 1

comandmode3.PNG.f441664f47eab936af526d2cc8c9c88c.PNG

Pic. 2

comandmode2.PNG.84241015cc86a7e887786f367d0054b4.PNG

Pic. 3