Using tera term for two pmods

johnsan1

Question

Hello,

So I have two ad2 pmods connected to my fpga board, one on my ja port and jd port, and I want to see what both of them are showing in tera term.

Is there a way where I can see them both at the same time? Can I have two tera terms open for each pmod?

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi @johnsan1

As there is only one UART link between the PC and your board, you cannot use more than one instance of Tera Term.

I am assuming you have a Vivado block design containing two Pmod AD2 IP cores.

The provided SDK example code only configures and reads from one AD2. In order to view samples from both AD2's at the same time, you must edit the example code to configure and control both AD2s and print data from both out over the serial interface. A starting point would be to add a second device driver instance to the code by editing line 44 of the example code as follows:

PmodAD2 myDevice_JA, myDevice_JD;

Thanks,

Arthur

16 hours ago, artvvb said:

As there is only one UART link between the PC and your board, you cannot use more than one instance of Tera Term.

Well I think that this is better stated as saying that most serial terminal applications can only connect to one COM port at a time. It is possible to mave multiple UARTs in your FPGA design and connect to multiple serial terminal applications. I like Putty myself, but there are other options.

Another possibility is to look around in the Digilent Project Vault and see at least 3 project with source code that might accomplish what you want to do. If you instantiate your own UART you can access any number of internal registers or memory.

On 9/11/2019 at 12:00 PM, artvvb said:

Hi @johnsan1

I am assuming you have a Vivado block design containing two Pmod AD2 IP cores.

The provided SDK example code only configures and reads from one AD2. In order to view samples from both AD2's at the same time, you must edit the example code to configure and control both AD2s and print data from both out over the serial interface. A starting point would be to add a second device driver instance to the code by editing line 44 of the example code as follows:

PmodAD2 myDevice_JA, myDevice_JD;

Thanks,

Arthur

Hello,

Sorry this is a bit late, but yeah this is basically what I did and it worked. Thank you so much!!

Archived