Basys3 Micro USB connector & switch cleaning

Allmoz

Question

Hi,

I have a like 30 basys3 and got some with issues in the micro USB connector. May I have the schematics for that part of the board? got one that the pin 4 got ripped, and I'm not sure if it connects any where. Plus, how can I get the exact same part to replace it myself? It seems that the conector is broken inside too.

On others, some switches are not working properly, probably just dirt. What do you recommend to clean them? If not, how can I get the part to replace them?

Some of them have serve in the line of duty (lended to students) for already 3 and a half years.

Thanks

1 answer to this question

Hi @Allmoz,

We're not able to provide the schematics for the USB connectivity on the Basys 3, though there is a thread detailing what sort USB port would be needed here, though I personally have never been able to find a part that matches the dimensions. If some of the USB connectors do not have the traces ripped off, there is a possibility that you could solder the connector directly back onto the board, though there's no guarantee that'll work.

Some of the connectors could still be okay; I have seen some boards come get returned where the user had plugged in the micro-USB cable upside down in the connector, but after carefully bending the connector back to the correct orientation (I used a small flathead screwdriver), I was able to plug a cable back in and have the board work with no issues.

As for the switches, contact cleaner or compressed air would be what I would suggest to clean them. It is possible to remove the top half of the switch from the bottom half (since it's held on by four small tabs) to get easy access to the conductor to clean off the dirt or any sort of corrosion, though I don't know how easy it would be to get those tabs secured back into place (I would guess that it is not so easy). The part we specifically used for the Basys 3 is here, though apparently it's not stocked any more, but since it is a straightforward SPDT switch, any switch that has 4 mm of space between the centers of each of the through hole pins would work as a replacement.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived