Hello world not working in zc7020 zybo.

miner_tom

Question

It does not matter which operating system I am working in, EITHER windows 10 or ubuntu 18.04. 

1. I have made sure that I have loaded the proper board file. Recently downloaded it and then I opened the xml file to make sure that it was referring to the zc7020.
  2. When I check the ip in the block design, it shows a number of ip peripherals checked.
  3. I'm using vivado 2019 and SDK 2019.
  4. I followed the directions given in the post quoted below, for creating a bitstream in vivado and launching the SDK.
  5. Programming the FPGA shows an acknowledgment that the FPGA was programmed successfully. In addition, the "DONE" light on the zybo board is lit after the programming step, so I know that the FPGA at least thinks that it is programmed with something. That does imply that PC to board communication is happening. I know that when the FPGA is programmed the software checks to see if the FPGA on the zybo is the one that the bitstream is written for. Therefore, I know that there is some backward communication, from the board to the PC.
  6. I did choose the "Hello World" application program.
  7. On the linux machine I am connected to "/dev/ttyS0 at 15200". On the windows 10 laptop I am connected to "Com 8 at 115200".
  8. After run as -> launch on hardware, I see no "Hello World" in either the console window or the SDK terminal. I get no errors.

Please help. I am out of ideas at this point.

Thank You

Tom

Posted Monday at 10:50 AM

Hi @Dareamol,

Here are the basic steps to getting the Hello World project working in Vivado:

1. Makes sure the board files are installed and you select the zybo-z7-10 when creating the project.

2. create a block design

3. add the zynq processor and run the default(board files) block automation.

4. connect the axi-m-gp0-aclk pin to the fclk_clk0  pin on the zynq processor.

5. right click on the design in the sources tab and create a wrapper letting vivado handle it.

6. generate a bitstream.

7. Export the hardware including the bitstream.

8. Launch SDK

in sdk:

1. once sdk has fully loaded with the hw_platform them click on file and add a new application. 

2. give it a name and leave everything else as default. select next.

3. Select the hello world template.

4. program the FPGA

5. Open a serial terminal emulator like tera term and connect the com port of the Zybo-Z7-10. Make sure to adjust the baud rate to 115200 and typically leave all of the other settings at default.

6. right click on the application and select run as->launch on hardware(system debugger)

and you should see hello world on the serial terminal!!!!

5 answers to this question

Hi @miner_tom,

Are you using the Zybo Z7-20 or the Pynq Z1 as described in your previous post here.  When you are creating a project are you selecting the correct board under the boards tab. I have attached a few screen shots for a project using the original Zybo. 

In windows are you able to see the Zybo board in the device manager under the ports and universal serial bus controllers section?

best regards,

Jon

image.png

image.png

Thank you for your reply,

I am not using the pynq. I am using zynq xc7z020. Please see the attached screen shots. This was the component in the zybo image processing development system.

Looking below at the "Device Manager" screen shot, I do not see anything that resembles anything that makes me think that the PC "sees" the zybo. You may be on to something.

Thank you again.

Tom

zynq7020.jpg

Project summary.jpg

Default Part.jpg

Device Manager.jpg

SDK Terminal.jpg

Hi @miner_tom,

Looking at your screen shots, it looks like the board is showing as COM8 in the ports section and both converter a an b are showing in the Universal serial bus controller section.

Please download Adept 2 here

Does the Adept 2 recognize the Zybo-Z7-20?

I attached an example of this using a Cora Z7.

Does Vivado's Hardware Manager recognize the Zybo-Z7-20?

Is the mode jumper set to JTAG?

best regards,

Jon

image.png

Thank you once again.

Yes, I downloaded Adept last night. Yes, it does recognize the XC7Z020. Here is a screen shot.

And, I was able to program the FPGA with the .bit file. However, still no "Hello World" in the SDK console. Is there another way to initialize the program or debug the program other than the xilinx SDK?

Tom

adept.jpg

Hello,

We apologize for taking so long to answer this issue.

I have followed the steps you mentioned in the first post (of course, using zybo-z7-20 instead of zybo-z7-10) and I managed to get things done.

Please be careful to the exported file location (I suggest to use the project default locations).

I attach a screen caption with the Vivado block design and a caption with my teminal showing the great message.

I am also attaching a zip with my project, in case you fail to get it running you can try to use mine. Please follow the steps from the readme file (run the proj/create_project.tcl script, ...).

Good luck.

zyboHello.png

zyboHelloTerraTerm.png

ZyboHello.zip

Archived