PMOD VGA - can it work with Vivado 2019.1

Abhijit

Question

9 answers to this question

HI @jpeyron

Thank you for your suggestion. I was working on it yesterday and below is the update from my side.
1. I have created the project using create_project.tcl script in the PMOD package mentioned by you. The last compilation seems to be for vivado 2016.4 (I am on 2019.1). I have upgraded the XCI file for the clocking used in this code and repackaged the IP.  I have uncommented the code to enable resolution of 600x480 (disabled the 1920x1080@60Hz). The code has inbuilt HDL code to create box designs, however, what I need is ability to connect to an incoming video (image source). The current structure of this code does not seem to support this. Pl. suggest how should I approach this.

2. I tried rgb2vga IP as I thought it may also work in this context. Created the design and have attached for your review and suggestions. I have modified the output interfaces to suit RGB (3 down to 0). Bitstream generation is successful without any critical warning. I have attached the design and the TCL file for your review plea se.

3. Clock 2 output is 25 MHz. There is no display.

My apologies if this is going all over, but need your help to so that I can achieve the objective. The plan is to load image using ROM > process it > display on VGA.

Thank you for your time and help.

Best regards,

Abhijit

design.pdf design_1.tcl

Hi @Abhijit

Your block design appears to be on the right track, but the AXI VDMA requires extensive configuration via it's S_AXI_LITE interface. Controlling the AXI interface requires a microblaze processor to accomplish. If you haven't used Microblaze before, the Getting Started With IPI guide would probably be a good place to start.

We have a few example designs for video applications using a similar approach to what you have started, but these typically target HDMI ports and use Zynq-based boards (example). It should be possible to get one of these designs fit what you need by replacing the Zynq processor with a Microblaze processor, replacing the rgb2dvi IP with the rgb2vga, and altering the Xilinx SDK sources to support Microblaze. Fair warning though, creating these video applications has a pretty steep learning curve.

Thanks,

Arthur

Thank you so much @artvvb

Really appreciate you looking into this. I think it might be a good idea for me to get the TPG working with rest of the blocks, before I move onto more complex design. I will prefer not to take SDK route (is it inevitable / necessary for microblaze based design?) 

thank you so much for your time.

best regards,

Abhijit

Archived