Amplitude modulation with DDS generator

chaitusvk

Question

I want to generate the signal as shown below  , i have pwm wave and sine wave generated(12 bit from DDS compiler)  please guide how i can generate the Amplitude modulated wave from that 

DDS compiler dont have option for amplitude setting 

thanks you

IRIG-serial-time-code-format.jpg

9 answers to this question

You could use the multiplication operator "*" in Verilog (similar VHDL).

For example, scale the "mark" sections (level 10) by 1024, the "space" sections (level 3) by 307. This will increase the bit width from 12 to 22 bits, therefore discard the lowest 10 bits and you are back at 12 bits. Pay attention to "signed" signals at input and output, otherwise the result will be garbled.

6 minutes ago, D@n said:

The carrier phase alignment question is pretty important.

What carrier frequency is this thing supposed to be operating at?  And ... is it in the range of what an FPGA can create?

Dan

1 khz is carrier frequency .... i will be using zyboz7 board 

and each symbol takes 10 ms 

8 hours ago, D@n said:

The carrier phase alignment question is pretty important.

What carrier frequency is this thing supposed to be operating at?  And ... is it in the range of what an FPGA can create?

Dan

@D@n Can you please help how to do carrier phase alignment  ..please 

clock driving DDS and producing PWN is same in my design 

@chaitusvk,

I notice that the on and off periods are ... not on an obvious integer spacing.  Is there some greatest common sublength that all of the bits are described with?  Is the carrier a multiple of this subwidth?

Your goal is to create this signal, right?  I think my goal would follow @xc6lx45's approach: create some form of NCO for the carrier, and then use multiples of it (if possible) for handling bit periods.  You might find this article, or even this one, valuable back-reading on the topic.

Dan

On 8/16/2019 at 7:33 AM, D@n said:

@chaitusvk,

I notice that the on and off periods are ... not on an obvious integer spacing.  Is there some greatest common sublength that all of the bits are described with?  Is the carrier a multiple of this subwidth?

Your goal is to create this signal, right?  I think my goal would follow @xc6lx45's approach: create some form of NCO for the carrier, and then use multiples of it (if possible) for handling bit periods.  You might find this article, or even this one, valuable back-reading on the topic.

Dan

thank you @D@n

what i am creating is IRIG-B am signal ,it has three digital symbols " MARK " , " 1 " ,  " 0 " 

MARK or Reference is defined by square pulse  : 8msec high    2 msec low  80% duty cycle

1   is defined by : 5msec high 5 msec low

0  is defined by : 2 msec high 8 msec low 

Every symbol start with HIGH state

irigexp.png.8db3142abb3001c258016e105fda8ce4.png

@D@n i have another question 

How to generate 1khz square which is synchronous to 1pps  ie both posedges has to be at same time

1pps: from GPS reciver

i have 10mhz from Rb Atomic clock

I tried Resetting decade counters with 1pps to achieve sync but it around 200 ns i need even less around 50 ns  

please help me i am designing IRIG-B code from GPS module with FPGA

sync_ss.jpg

@chaitusvk,

You might find the GPS integration to be a bit of a challenge.  It's doable, but it will be a bit of a challenge.  I was able to synchronize my Arty A7 board to within about 250ns or so of true GPS time. as reported by the PMod GPS.

Suppose we try this:

• Generate a 32-bit counter (could be more bits, could be less), and increment it so that it rolls over 1000 times a second.  (Don't count from 0 to any number other than 2^(N-1)--it'll make the next step harder)
  • Also, generate a second signal that is one every time the clock is about to roll over.  (Might be easier to delay the counter by one, and then use: { o_stb, counter } <= counter + increment; together with o_counter <= counter)
  • Use the top N bits of the counter in your counter to generate a sine wave via either a cordic or a table lookup.
  • If using a cordic, use the o_stb value from earlier to enable a logic circuit that selects between two magnitude values, using them as input to the CORDIC
  • If you are just using a table lookup, then multiply the output of the lookup by the same magnitude value

That should get you pretty close, no?

Now, if I wanted GPS synchronization, I'd start with a core I'd written for that purpose.  This core keeps track of the timing since the top of a GPS second in a 2^32 bit counter.  If you multiply that counter by 1000 rather than adding the increment to it as we did above, then you should have a 1kHz tone synchronized to GPS.

Dan

8 minutes ago, D@n said:

@chaitusvk,

You might find the GPS integration to be a bit of a challenge.  It's doable, but it will be a bit of a challenge.  I was able to synchronize my Arty A7 board to within about 250ns or so of true GPS time. as reported by the PMod GPS.

Suppose we try this:

• Generate a 32-bit counter (could be more bits, could be less), and increment it so that it rolls over 1000 times a second.  (Don't count from 0 to any number other than 2^(N-1)--it'll make the next step harder)
  • Also, generate a second signal that is one every time the clock is about to roll over.  (Might be easier to delay the counter by one, and then use: { o_stb, counter } <= counter + increment; together with o_counter <= counter)
  • Use the top N bits of the counter in your counter to generate a sine wave via either a cordic or a table lookup.
  • If using a cordic, use the o_stb value from earlier to enable a logic circuit that selects between two magnitude values, using them as input to the CORDIC
  • If you are just using a table lookup, then multiply the output of the lookup by the same magnitude value

That should get you pretty close, no?

Now, if I wanted GPS synchronization, I'd start with a core I'd written for that purpose.  This core keeps track of the timing since the top of a GPS second in a 2^32 bit counter.  If you multiply that counter by 1000 rather than adding the increment to it as we did above, then you should have a 1kHz tone synchronized to GPS.

Dan

Thank you very much @D@n

Archived