Basys3 Serial ports not showing up

SkeptoLogic

Question

I have 3 basys3 boards, one I have used for some time, and two brand new. When I plug the new units in, the JTAG serial port shows up, but the user serial port does not show up. Switching back and forth between the new boards and the old board is consistant, and all using the same cable ( and I tried another cable that was included with a Xilinx board). The old board always has two ports, and the new boards both have only one.

All boards show up with the USB Serial Device A, and USB Serial Device B under the USB controllers in device manager. The Hardware IDs for both A & B perfectly match between boards. The one serial port that does show up under Ports in device manager has the same hardware IDs that the B device has. The A device is not instantiating a serial port.

In a desperate attempt to fix the issue, I turned on "view uninstalled devices" in device manager and uninstalled all digilent devices. Now all three boards have only one serial port enabled. Any ideas as to what could cause this will be appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Hi @SkeptoLogic,

When the ftdi drivers are not installed correctly i believe that the com port section will have two com ports for one board. When everything is installed correctly you should only have one serial com port visible from the ports section in the Device Manager per board.

best regards,

Jon

On Windows, and on the original board, it always showed up as two, one that is used for the JTAG and one that is the serial port. It looks like something on my PC changed and it is only showing up as one for new boards. I traced the difference down to a setting on the USB controller A not having a "Load VCP" box checked in the advanced tab.

If you are seeing only one comport, than it may be my original settings that were wrong all along.

Archived