Measuring RMS noise with AD2 (scope/FFT) or SA

tdavismn

Question

renesas_an1560_making_noise_measurements_pgs_1-3.pdfI have a noise test setup that is measuring the en noise of jfets and is gaining it by 1000x to the AD2.  What tools exist in the AD2  - likely either scope with FFT or the SA where I can get reported the rms voltage value over frequency and the number of samples taken for the RMS.  I don't want pk-pk as it requires more work and samples to be meaningful to the analog circuit designer - me.

Please provide a best practice method as I am struggling at this time.

An alternate can be to move to another piece of test equipment if this isn't an intended feature of the AD2.

Thanks,

Tim

agilent_nz_5989-9087EN.pdf

7 answers to this question

This is the best reference I can find of how to make use of the rms value once it is measured.

This is for the relation of dBm/Hz in 50 Ohms and nV/Root Hz in 50 Ohms.

https://www.tek.com/support/faqs/how-can-i-measure-and-calculate-nv-root-hz-nanovolt-root-hertz-spectrum-analyzer

My suspicion is that this may not be easily supported by "waves" at this time.

If the feature were available, the AD2 with WAVE GUI/SW would probably find even more homes.

On 8/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, tdavismn said:

where I can get reported the rms voltage value over frequency

Hi,

a conventional spectrum analyzer shows average power observed within the resolution bandwidth (RBW) filter. I need a correction factor from the RBW filter to the equivalent noise bandwidth of the filter, either from the analyzer's manual or via the analyzer's firmware (e.g. 'noise density' marker or the like that performs the conversion automatically). I can ignore this factor but it won't be fully accurate then. The difference is between definitions e.g. -3 dB bandwidth vs. an equivalent brickwall filter with the same area under the curve.

For a "raw" FFT-based spectrum analyzer, the RBW is about the inverse of the capture time, e.g. 1 ms capture = 1 kHz RBW.

Knowing power in RBW, I scale down to power in 1 Hz. E.g. with a 300 kHz RBW (noise) bandwidth, divide the power (in units of Watts) by 300000.

Then convert to voltage over 50 ohms and there is the RMS value (since spectrum analyzer power readings mean "dissipated over the SA's 50 ohms input resistance).

This for the vendor-independent basics...

Archived