usbtouart pmod communication

lafe

Question

hi!

Does anyone know if I can use my usb to uart pmod, which is connected to a zedboard, to communicate with a device as a host?

I want the zedboard to be the host of the communication and send specific data packets to the attached device.

I test the pmod with a usb analyzer and see that it works as a device(slave). Can I make it a host(master) or it sends by default specific data header? And if yes how this can be ?

I’m really new on embedded design and I really need some help…

Thanks in advance!

2 answers to this question

Hi lafe,

The PmodUSBUART will work in both directions, that is you can either have the ZedBoard receive data from the source on the USB side of the Pmod or have the ZedBoard send data over the UART side to whatever is on the other side. All of the data type conversions and headers and whatnot are handled internally by the FTDI chip that is present on the board. I don't know how it does it (the FTDI manufacturer keeps that information to itself), but the chip has " UART interface support for 7 or 8 data bits, 1 or 2 stop bits and odd / even / mark / space / no parity", as per the first page of it's datasheet.

As far as I am aware, there is nothing fancy that you need to do or send to the Pmod to make it a host or a slave.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived