ADC interfacing with Atlys Spartan 6 FPGA Trainer board

Hari Krishna

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi @Hari Krishna,

Welcome to the Digilent Forums!

We have a few ADC that would connect through the Pmod Port of the Atlys. The AD1 (2 channel 12 bit), AD2 (4 channel 12 bit) and AD5 (four channel 24 bit). The AD5 is the only one that meets the 16 bit metric. The Pmod AD5 communicates through SPI. 

Here are some projects done by Analog Discovery that might be helpful for your project.

best regards,

Jon

35 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Hari Krishna,

Welcome to the Digilent Forums!

We have a few ADC that would connect through the Pmod Port of the Atlys. The AD1 (2 channel 12 bit), AD2 (4 channel 12 bit) and AD5 (four channel 24 bit). The AD5 is the only one that meets the 16 bit metric. The Pmod AD5 communicates through SPI. 

Here are some projects done by Analog Discovery that might be helpful for your project.

best regards,

Jon

Thanks Jon for your kind response

Please suggest me in choosing a FPGA board which can have 2 channel 16bit ADC with >100 Msps

In a lot of ways the Atlys is still one of Digilent's better FPGA boards. The Spartan 6 on it has better IOSERDES performance than the newer Series 7 equipped Artix boards. Unfortunately, there are no add-on boards for it using the VHDC connector except for prototyping. Also unfortunate is that the differential IO to the VHDC connector has 50 series resistors complicating the usefulness of any differential IOSTANDARD options. The original Genesys is better in that regard but alas, not much in the way of add-on boards. You certainly could make your own ADC board but it wouldn't be a trivial undertaking. I do wish that I had a better answer to give you.

Archived