pikeaero

Good Day - New Digilent DIgital Discovery User

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

I've been using the Saleae Logic 8 and Logic Pro 16, and I don't want to knock them, overall they're not bad, the software is really nice, but for me, the continual downgrade in sampling rate due to USB bus contention, has just lead to endless frustration.

Finally I decided enough is enough, and it's time for an upgrade.

The Digital Discovery seemed like good bang for the buck, and with a substantial DDR3 buffer memory, it seems like I should not have the same issues I was having with the Saleae analizers.

So all I've done so far is to just fire up WaveForms and probed the logic pins on an  RS-485 driver on one of my  production MODBUS gateways, and started sending it some traffic, and there we go, I'm up and running. Nice!

So I'll be digging into the WaveForms scripting with the aim of developing a custom protocol analyzer for an RS-485 "token bus" protocol I've been developing. Hopefully that will help me to analyze the performance and in those debugging situations.

In any case, so far, I'm pleased, it's looking very nice!

Thanks Digilent!

--Mike

Waveforms-rs485.png

Edited by pikeaero

5 answers to this question

Hi @pikeaero

In the Logic Analyzer you could use in the Add/Custom interpreter, see the UART example.

In case you want to send and receive UART data you could use the Protocol tool or access it from Script.

image.png.327a58fe949c9bb0daf7d0f14eb4b651.png

I liked the Digital Discovery so much, I got the Analog Discovery 2 as well! I've been using that for about a week now. Loving these tools. Really nice work, Digilent!