peter64

Buffered UART TX with interrupts on uC32

Question

Posted (edited)

Hello, I was hoping to use your uC32 board to control 4 stepper motor drivers and to provide debug information over serial back to a PC.

Unfortunately though the UART routine implemented in HardwareSerial only has a buffered RX implementation and not a buffered TX implementation.

This means that at lower baud rates or with larger debug payloads the time to send the data into the serial line can take a rather long time.

I looked around online and I can't find any pre-built libraries that implement an IRQ based UART TX Buffer on the PIC32 that would be compatible with the framework supplied by chipkit. I found one but it's based on entirely different compiler and set of libraries so doesn't appear compatible.

http://phoenix-mindgame.blogspot.com/2014/09/pic32-uart-transmission-using-tx.html

The regular core arduino HardwareSerial library was updated at some point to support a TX buffer, would diligent consider updating the HardwareSerial implementation that comes with chipkit for the uC32 to also support a TX buffer?

UPDATE: I managed to implement a TX buffer without too much difficulty, not sure how robust it is though, this fixed my issue by eliminating blocking serial writes. This might be a useful feature improvement you would consider for the future.

Edited by peter64

1 answer to this question

Hi @peter64,

Glad to hear that you were able to implement a TX buffer to resolve the tx data rate issue. I have passed your suggestion on to our content team. 

best regards,

Jon