How to program Cmod 7 board?

macellan

Question

Hi everyone,

I' m planning to order a breadboardable FPGA board and Cmod 7 Artix 7 board takes my interest for a while. However, I' had difficulty to understand a few points that I want to ask here?
For instance I'm not quite sure about the function of JTAG. Do I need a JTAG programmer for uploading the design file or is the USB connection enough for that? Also do I need JTAG programmer for using the Integrated Logic Analyzer as well?

A more general question do you recommend me to order a JTAG programmer as well and which one?

Additionally, what is Cmod stand for and is there any relation with Pmod? What are their meanings?

Thanks in advance and kind wishes ...

6 answers to this question

A different, somewhat less quick, answer is that most programmable logic devices have pins dedicated for configuring a device as it powers on using a variety of methods and sources like FLASH proms or microprocessors. JTAG is another means of configuring a programmable device but has other uses like testing and debugging. JTAG is found on most complex electronic devices, even those that are not programmable. If your board has a JTAG header and a device with USB connectivity capable of offering UART and JTAG functionality then either of these can be used to configure your FPGA device.

Hi @macellan,

The USB JTAG Bridge on the Cmod A7 35T or 15T is usable for both configuring the FPGA through JTAG and UART communication as discussed in the reference manual here in section 2 FPGA Configuration and section 5 USB-UART Bridge. Here are the Cmod A7 projects on Digilent's GitHub. The Cmod-A7-35T-GPIO project uses the USB UART Bridge.  

Also the the Cmod A7 can be demanding when it comes to cables. It's very common with FPGA boards that some cable works with device x but not device y (there are many low-quality cables on the market and they fail gradually). I'd suggest making sure you have quality USB A to Micro-B Cable.

best regards,

Jon

53 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

I'd suggest making sure you have quality USB A to Micro-B Cable.

Believe it or not I hate being a thorn in your side... but recommending a specific cable, if that's possible, would be infinitely more helpful. This neess to be put to rest; one way or another.

Archived