How to take video stream from usb camera and show by HDMI?

ToronoCoyo

Question

6 answers to this question

I suppose that if you have an ARM based FPGA board you can, in theory, run a version of Linux that will allow you to run an application that could do what you've described. It's doubtful that you will find non-proprietary drivers for an ARM platform if they are needed.

If you have a Nexys Video or similar board with HDMI inputs and outputs there are options for using SDI, AHD or TVI cameras with a suitable 'format' --> HDMI converter to get a video stream and incorporate that into some output video stream. In this case a USB camera won't work as the FPGA board doesn't have USB host capabilities.

Hi @ToronoCoyo,

Based on your previous thread here you are using the Zybo-Z7-20. If you are wanting to use a USB camera then you will want to use an embedded linux platform like Petalinux. Here is the Petalinux Support for Digilent Boards page which has a a 2017.2 and a 2017.4 release. The Key features that for these releases should allow you use a linux supported USB Camera and stream that through the HDMI OUT.

* Ethernet with unique MAC and SSH server
* USB Host and device
* GPIO devices (via UIO)
* HDMI Output (via DRM)
* HDMI Input (via UIO)

best regards,

Jon

11 hours ago, ToronoCoyo said:

is it possible ?

Just about anything is potentially possible. The question you want answered is "Is it likely that I'll be able to accomplish my task in a reasonable about of time?"

One way to assess that answer is to understand all of the hardware and software elements of the task at hand. Do you think that you can write code to operate the ARM USB host controller, replace the Linux kernel driver, and write an application that replaces all of what's doing on behind the scenes in a ZYNQ running a Linux variant, in a time frame allotted to your project? 

Hi @ToronoCoyo,

To add to @zygot's post,  I am not aware of any demo/example/tutorial that has accomplished this task for the USB  OTG and the ZYNQ processor.  Your previous thread deals with the PCAM-5C. I would suggest either changing back to the PCAM-5C or using and embedded linux platform with a usb camera. 

best regards,

Jon

Archived