Zedboard flash program with pure vhdl logic

conanandai100

Question

Hi,

Quick question about the SPI flash programming on Zedboard: when I tried to program the bin file in the hardware manager of vivado (I need to store the bitstream offline for some reasons), it requires FSBL file, while I was only using the FPGA part without anything related to SDK. In that case, shall I create a hello world project in SDK to generate the FSBL? It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Thanks.

4 answers to this question

Hi @jpeyron

Thanks for the answer. It partly solved my problem. Yes, the flash programming works, but only for the first time. Then no matter what I reprogram, it shows the content of the original one. I wonder if there is any write protection or one-time-program mechanism as some flash memories do.

Thanks,

Conan

Hi @conanandai100,

So to clarify, you are making a new BOOT.BIN file and following the same process in the tutorial to load it into flash. Then you are power cycling the board and the old BOOT.BIN file is configuring the board. 

Are the mode jumpers set correctly when you are uploading the new BOOT.BIN? 

I would also suggest to re-create the BOOT.BIN.

best regards,

Jon 

Hi @jpeyron

Yes, I pay attention to the jumpers when programming and reboot. MIO5 is set correctly according to the guide: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zedboard-programming-guide/start

Besides generating a new boot.bin file, I even tried to delete the whole sdk folder, modify the LED output value, regenerate/export hardware and launch the sdk again to create a new sdk project with new boot.bin file and elf. It simply showed the old content that I can tell from the LED.

Just wonder if this scenario occurs before to others and any possible solution or tips that I can fix it. I tried to google it, unfortunately there is no positive information yet.

Thanks,

Conan

Archived