Can't seem to update firmware ...

I got an OpenLogger last Friday and with the Digilent Agent link not working over the weekend this is my first chance to fire it up. The first thing you're supposed to do is update the firmware, so I try that. It fails with both Chrome and Safari. I turned off the firewall temporarily and that didn't help matters. I do see a failure to access:

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/digilent/Software/OpenScope+MZ/release/firmware/without-bootloader/OpenLoggerMZ-.hex

in the Javascript console log, but the behavior is inconsistent enough that I'm not sure whether it's always going after that S3 object (which has a name that looks mis-formatted), or whether once there's been a failure it no longer formats the name correctly. I can "connect" to the device. I'm at firmware 0.1359.0 and 0.1807 appears to be current.

One message that might be relevant from the console is attached as an image. I'm dead in the water at this point ...

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 6.12.11 PM.png

Hi @mossygreen,

The links for the Digilent Agent and (I believe) the firmware were down over the weekend until yesterday morning, so that might be what you ran into in this instance. I just verified on the OpenLogger I have that through WaveFormsLive I can configure with different released firmwares. Are you still running into this issue today?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @mossygreen,

Okay; to confirm, have you tested this again after your initial post this morning? I did hear (after I originally commented) that the downloads were again briefly down again this morning or at least a bit slow (we're looking into the root cause of this).

Out of curiosity, where did you get that particular link you posted? It appears to have the version number that would be present at the end of the link stripped away so the url link is invalid. I believe the link you need for the latest firmware is here.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes, it still fails as of 12:28PM CDT. I see this in Safari Javascript console log:

[Log] storage constructor (main.js, line 5)
[Log] Transport HTTP Contructor (main.js, line 122)
[Log] settings service constructor (main.js, line 3)
[Warning] Native: tried calling t.styleDefault, but the t plugin is not installed. (main.js, line 1)
[Warning] Install the t plugin: 'ionic plugin add cordova-plugin-statusbar' (main.js, line 1)
[Warning] Native: tried calling t.hide, but the t plugin is not installed. (main.js, line 1)
[Warning] Install the t plugin: 'ionic plugin add cordova-plugin-splashscreen' (main.js, line 1)
[Error] Origin http://waveformslive.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin.
[Error] XMLHttpRequest cannot load https://mautic.digilentinc.com/mtc/event due to access control checks.
[Error] Failed to load resource: Origin http://waveformslive.com is not allowed by Access-Control-Allow-Origin. (event, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found) (main.js.map, line 0)

When I initially load the waveformslive.com web site and then connect the USB cable to the OpenLogger, I see a solid yellow LED briefly that is near the standalone DC power in connector, followed by a flashing green LED right next to the USB connector. The flashing green continues when I launch the "Instrument Panel" dialog and can see the existing firmware version and the newest available firmware version. See the attached dialog1.png file - when I see that I still have a flashing green LED.

When I click "Update Firmware", within a second the flashing green LED stops and I have a flashing red LED (LD1).

It appears to me that the Agent can talk to the OpenLogger device fine, but that they initiation of the firmware update causes an error.

One other oddity, the device shows up with many different names (see the second screen shot). I've tried both the cu and tty addresses ending in 0 with the same result.

dialog1.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-05 at 12.38.34 PM.png

Hi @mossygreen,

I talked with our firmware engineer more familiar with the OpenLogger and they let me know that they have been unable to recreate the Access-Control-Allow-Origin errors or the broader issue that you are experiencing.

Are you using the localhost version of WaveFormsLive (or how are you accessing WaveForms Live)? It looks like you are attempting to do this through Safari, but I'm not certain. Additionally, the original URL you posted has mixes of the OpenScope and the OpenLogger, which is in accurate so the when the you attempt to update the firmware the URL the app figures out is wrong (hence why the process is failing). Could you update the offline build (the zip file for it is here) and then try updating the firmware? There are some details on how to do this here.

Additionally, to confirm based on what I am seeing, you are connecting the OpenLogger to your iPad? Or am I misinterpreting that entirely?

Thanks,
JColvin

My setup is as follows:

• MacBook Pro running MacOS 10.14.5
  • Up to date Safari
  • Digilent Agent 1.0.1-9 (from DMG file)

No iPad or iPhone is involved in any of this.

The following steps reproduce the failure (which I'll repeat right now to know they are correct):

1. Launch Digilent Agent
  2. Launch Safari
  3. Plug in OpenLogger
    1. LD2 (amber) lights up solid for ~1 second
    2. LD2 turns off and LD3 begins blinking green
  4. Connect to www.waveformslive.com using Safari
  5. WaveformsLive software appears to load. Web page appears to have knowledge of device (see first image for screen shot).
  6. Click on three vertical dots and select "Instrument Panel" (see second image for screen appearance following this).
  7. Select "Update Firmware", LD3 stops flashing green and LD1 flashes red rapidly.

I followed the steps from your email and updated the localhost version of WaveForms Live. I then re-launched Safari and connected to http://localhost:42135, which launched WaveFormsLive. I then added the device and attempted to update the firmware. This time, it spent several seconds (maybe 10) saying it was updating the firmware with the green flashing LED before it switched to the flashing red mode again. Eventually I get a message "Error uploading firmware".

I then disconnected the OpenLogger, reconnected it, and it came back to flashing green. At that point, just because "why not" I connected to the cu.usbserial-210364AA7FEA1 instead of cu.usbserial-210364AA7FEA0 (there's only one OpenLogger anywhere) and tried to update the firmware. This had a new mode where red and yellow are both on (one or both flashing) and the firmware update completed. Why are there two names for the same device, both of which can be connected to and appear "live" but only one of which supports updating the firmware.

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 4.29.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-06-06 at 4.33.19 PM.png

Hi @mossygreen,

It sounds to me like you're doing everything right; I've pinged our firmware guy again to see if they have some additional input. Though apparently I didn't send this message yesterday informing you of this like I thought I did.

Thank you for your patience,
JColvin

Hi @mossygreen,

They let me know that they don't know why there are two device listings showing up for the OpenLogger; when they test on the Mac machine that they have only a single set of tty and cu devices. With that in mind, their only guess at this point to help with this would be to try updating the device drivers; they realize this isn't much help but it's their best understanding of the situation at this point.

Thanks,
JColvin

Two part response:

(1) Last night I got a chance to have another go at the OpenLogger after having successfully updated its firmware. I went through the calibration procedure and then actually used it to monitor some voltages. It functioned okay, but there are clearly still bugs to work through in the firmware and/or the agent and/or the WaveFormsLive software. So - net of net, I'm no longer dead in the water.

(2) W/r to updating the device drivers, where would I get updated drivers?

Hi @mossygreen,

My understanding (I don't have a Mac to confirm this) is that you should be able to click on the Apple icon on your screen and then select the Software Update option. Otherwise, I would get the FTDI drivers (what the OpenLogger uses to communicate) directly from the FTDI website here; you might need to uninstall the existing drivers first to help facilitate this.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived