LwIP example ZYNQ server on ZYBO Z7-20

joniengr081

Question

I am trying to run the ZYNQ server LwIP example on ZYBO Z7-20. The board has Realtek RTL8211E-VL PHY. The LwIP example in Vivado SKD 2017.3 is designed for TI or Micrel PHY. I get warning (and also DHCP timeout) in the UART terminal that the PHY on target board is not TI or Micrel PHY.

-----lwIP TCP echo server ------

TCP packets sent to port 6001 will be echoed back

WARNING: Not a Marvell or TI Ethernet PHY. Please verify the initialization sequence
link speed for phy address 1: 1000
DHCP Timeout
Configuring default IP of 192.168.1.10
Board IP: 192.168.1.10

Netmask : 255.255.255.0

Gateway : 192.168.1.1

TCP echo server started @ port 7

I have looked at the Digilent's tutorial "Getting Started with Zynq Servers" which was implemented on Xilinx Vivado 2015.X. Probably the LwIP example in Vivado 2015 is compatible with ZYBO's Realtek RTL8211E-VL.

Do I need to change any setting in LwIP example in Vivado 2017.3 to run on ZYBO Z7-20 ?

11 answers to this question

Hi @joniengr081,

Here is a verified and completed LWiP Zybo-Z7-20 Vivado 2017.3.1 project. I followed the getting started with ZYNQ servers that is linked above as well as here. I have attached a few screen shots showing what I did. 

1) Please open the linked Vivado project.

2) launch sdk. Once SDK is open program the Zybo-Z7-20.

3) Then alter your internet settings to facilitate the ethernet connection to your PC as described in the tutorial.

4) Then right click on the echo application and select run as-> launch on hardware(system debugger).

5) Next open tera term with TCP/IP selected then make sure that the host is set to 192.168.1.10 then select Telnet and change the TCP port # to 7 and select ok.

Does tera term show its connected?

6) Then click setting and terminal and change the tx to cr+LF and select local echo.

7) Now type stuff on the terminal and then press enter.

Does it echo back the typed text?

Best regards,

Jon

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Yes I have already looked into this tutorial and I have followed until step 11 which is a message on UART, posted in the first post.  

Then I have issue with step 12. I have assigned the IPv4 address (192.168.1.11) in the laptop and have connected the Ethernet cable. I am not able to ping the board (192.168.1.10) and not able to connect to Telnet which is demonstrated in step 12 of tutorial. 

Hi @joniengr081,

Please attach screen shots of your Vivado Block design, SDK. 

What serial terminal emulator are you using?

Have you installed the digilent board files?  The board files correctly configures the zynq processor.

Are you selecting the Zybo-Z7-20 when you are creating the project?

best regards,

Jon

Yes I have added the board files of Zybo-Z7-20 and have implemented several projects on it including AXI DMA with AXI Stream interface. The projects works with JTAG programing and also with BOOT.BIN in SD card.   

As mentioned above that I have followed the steps in the Digilent's tutorial "Getting Started with Zynq Servers" which was implemented on Xilinx Vivado 2015.X.

I am implementing the LwIP project using Vivado 2017.3. I am using Tera Term for connecting to UART. I get the warning message on UART that the PHY is not Marvel or TI. This is the only difference which I have until step 11 of Digilent's tutorial. The issue is with last step 12.

Repeat: I have assigned the IPv4 address (192.168.1.11) in the laptop and have connected the Ethernet cable. I am not able to ping the board (192.168.1.10) and not able to connect to Telnet which is demonstrated in step 12 of tutorial. 

Is it possible to attach file ? I don't find the option to upload the files.  

Hi @joniengr081,

You should be able to attach files now as part of a reply to a thread; you were in a different member account type since you had created an account but had not posted anything within a month or so of creating that account (this is done as an attempt to help prevent any bots from just waiting until their account is "old enough" before attempting to spam).

I apologize for the confusion.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi, 

Thanks for sharing the project. It works. There is nothing wrong in the tutorial. No need to change anything this the SDK program. The problem was in connecting to Tera Term which is fixed now. I am sorry for this redundant post. Kindly advice if there is any way to delete this post. Thanks for understanding.   

Hi All,

Please excuse me as I have to bother you on the same topic.

I have gone through the tutorial and landed on at same issue, where ping to echo server is okay, where as TCP/IP connection is not working as expected.

I am using JTAG to download the program. 

Please see the attached screen shots for serial prints from zybo board and TCP/IP connection window on Terminal.

Thanks,
Ravi

tcp_ip.JPG.9b92071a071e1886806ab5b5d838e2eb.JPGserial_log.thumb.JPG.8308441d304c600d57d372f6f056fb26.JPG

ping.JPG

Hi @WeAllAre,

Do you have an Ethernet cable connected from your Zybo to your computer or an ethernet switch? From your images, it seems that you have only connected to the Zybo via UART on Tera Term, confirmed the 192.168.1.10 IP address of the board, but then only pinged the board from the Command Prompt (which shows it is working) rather than opening a new Tera Term TCP/IP connection?

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived